Congratulations to Mehrshad Fahim Devin – 2023 Fall Colors Photo Contest Winner!

A boat floating on the water against a backdrop of a cloudy sky, colorful fall trees, and distant city skyline.
Winning photograph: Fall Ride - Roof of Kennedy Center by Mehrshad Fahim Devin

Himmelfarb Library would like to congratulate Mehrshad Fahim Devin, MPS, the 2023 Fall Colors Photo Contest winner! Himmelfarb's Healthy Living Committee had their work cut out for them by judging the 39 entries to this year's contest. With so many fantastic submissions, it was challenging to select a winning photo. But after much deliberation, Mehrshad's photo, Fall Ride - Roof of Kennedy Center, was chosen by the committee as this year's winner! Mehsrshad, a first-year medical student, stopped by Himmelfarb earlier this week to pick up his prize, a coffee mug showcasing his photo.

Members of the Healthy Living Committee with Mehrshad holding his prize.
Left to right: Deborah Wassertzug, Lonnie Williams, Mehrshad Fahim Devin, and Laura Abate.

We recently asked Mehrshad about his photography. Here's what he had to say:

How long have you been taking photographs, and what are your favorite subjects?

I have always loved taking photos, but 99% of the time they remain hidden in my camera roll! My interest in photography especially peaked when I took a class in high school. Learning about concepts like "the rule of thirds" and "depth of field" allowed me to take photos that brought me a feeling of satisfaction. But I don't consider myself a professional photographer at all, just someone who enjoys casually capturing the beauties of the world. Beyond tons of selfies, my camera roll is filled with photos of friends, pets, nature, and dishes I cook.

How did you hear about the Fall Colors Photo Contest?  Tell us about your winning photo.

I first learned about the contest while browsing my inbox and it definitely piqued my interest. As I was walking around the Kennedy Center with a friend, we came across the rooftop patio and decided to have a look at the Georgetown waterfront. The sky, the skyline, the foliage, and the water were all breathtaking sights. I wanted to capture that moment to look back on later. Fortunately, while I was clicking away on my phone camera, a boat floated into the frame. I wanted to submit the photo to share the beauty I witnessed with the rest of my community.

Himmelfarb would like to thank all of you who submitted photos to our 2023 Fall Colors Photo Contest! And congratulations to this year's winner, Mehrshad Fahim Devin, MPS and first-year medical student!