As the fall semester begins, some undergraduate students may ask their professors to secure access for them to Himmelfarb Library. Himmelfarb Administration and the Deans of the SMHS, SPHHS and SON would like to remind all faculty of the library’s access policy for those students.
Undergraduate students at GW do not have access to Himmelfarb Library unless they have declared a major in the SMHS, SPHHS, or SON. As many of Himmelfarb’s resources are available online, we expect that undergraduate students enrolled in a course in one of the three schools will physically use Gelman Library.
However, if a faculty member has placed print or AV (non-electronic) materials on reserve at Himmelfarb for an undergraduate course, we will arrange to have their students coded for semester access to the Library so that they can utilize these materials.
Additionally, if a faculty member is scheduled to teach an undergraduate class to be held at Himmelfarb, we will arrange to have those students coded for semester physical access upon receipt of student lists. For individual undergraduate review sessions or other course-related sessions conducted in Himmelfarb Library rooms, we will issue access passes once names and class number(s) are submitted.
Should students need to borrow books from Himmelfarb, they may look them up in our Library Catalog and then contact our Circulation Desk, whose staff members will pull the requested books from the shelves. We will let the students enter in order to borrow and return those materials. The phone number at Circulation is (202) 994-2962.
For questions or concerns, please contact:
Himmelfarb Library Access Coordinator
RefWorks will be unavailable this weekend due to system maintenance. The outage will begin on Saturday, August 24th at 10 p.m. and continue until Sunday, August 25th at 4 a.m. Users who attempt to access RefWorks during this time period will be redirected to a window with information regarding this scheduled maintenance.
In addition, after the system maintenance has been performed, users may notice brief periods of slow response while the RefWorks' operations team completes routine testing to verify system capacity and performance.
- Friday, August 23rd from 1:00 - 5:00 pm
- Wednesday, August 28th from 1:00 - 5:00 pm
- Tuesday, September 3rd from 1:00 - 5:00 pm
Due to the emergency water outage, Himmelfarb Library will be closed from 4 p.m. on Friday, August 9th through 8 a.m. on Saturday, August 10th. Online resources will continue to be available during the closure.
The Library Catalog will be unavailable this Thursday, August 8th due to a systems maintenance project. The Circulation Desk will be unable to renew materials, place holds, or accept fine payments during downtime. Catalog records will be searchable in Health Information @ Himmelfarb and ALADIN. Please contact the Information Desk for assistance locating materials at 202-994-2850 or ask us.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Get ready for the new semester and learn more about how you can use technology to support your instruction. Himmelfarb Library will host a series of faculty seminars in August to help faculty learn about new technologies and explore how they can be used in the SMHS, SPHHS, and SON instruction. The seminars are:
- VoiceThread - Tuesday, August 13, 2013 1 pm-2 pm, Himmelfarb Women's Board Teaching Center. Professor Karen Schlumpf will be demonstrating how she uses VoiceThread in her classes. VoiceThread allows the user to upload a variety of files including videos, images, and PowerPoint for viewing by students at a time of their choosing, and permits student comments in both text and audio formats.
- BlackBoard - Thursday, August 15, 2013 12 pm -1 pm, Himmelfarb Women's Board Teaching Center. Librarian Laura Abate will be providing an Introduction to Blackboard.
- Panopto & Sharp Boards- Friday, August 16, 2013 12 pm-1 pm, Himmelfarb B103. Senior Program Analyst Meghan Foster from CASS will demonstrate the new lecture recording system Panopto that will capture speaker's audio and slides in one cohesive presentation. She will also demonstrate the new Sharp Boards that have been installed in several classrooms.
- Doceri - Friday, August 16, 2013 1 pm-2 pm, Himmelfarb B103. Professor Kathy Kennedy will demonstrate how she uses Doceri in her classes. Doceri is an interactive whiteboard and screencasting app for the iPad.
Please note: no registration is required!