Welcome Randy!

Picture of Randy Plym standing in front of a bookshelf.

You may have noticed a new face at the Circulation Desk in the past few months. Himmelfarb Library is happy to welcome Randy Plym to our staff. Randy is Himmelfarb’s new Evening/Weekend Circulation Supervisor. We are thrilled to have him as part of the Himmelfarb team! Here are some more things to know about Randy:

Share your path to Himmelfarb Library.

I studied English literature during undergrad and after a brief stint in an education company, I found myself working in the Chesapeake Public Library, which proved to be a formative environment. I savored the blend of working with people, ideas, and data, and it gave me the freedom (and platform) to pursue projects like escape rooms. I took a year to travel to Europe and finish a novel, and when I returned, I wanted to explore the possibility of working in a university library. I’ve edited dissertations for a long time, and I figured that the university setting would combine my experience in libraries and my time working with students. When I saw the Himmelfarb opening, I jumped at it, and so far, it’s been great.

Tell us about your position at Himmelfarb and what you do.

I’m the Evening/Weekend supervisor, so I staff the circulation desk, help the circulation assistants, maintain Himmelfarb’s physical collection, and assist with our 3D printer. Additionally, I help Library Operations fulfill ILL (interlibrary loans).

What has been the best part of working at Himmelfarb?

It’s been ennobling knowing that all the people I help (even in a small way) will one day be doctors or working in the medical field. I’ve also enjoyed getting to know the Himmelfarb staff and having many interesting conversations. They’ve been very hospitable and willing to teach me anything I need.

What do you like to do in your time away from work?

The lion’s share of my time goes to reading, writing, and trying to publish my writing, but I also like playing video games and tennis with friends (a welcome reprieve from fictional people), hiking, running, and traveling. I have a 160gb iPod that I’ve been cultivating for over a decade.

Where are you from originally, and what brought you to the DC area?

I’m originally from South Jersey but spent about ten years in Virginia Beach and a year and a half in Frankfurt, Germany. I have a few great friends in NOVA, so when I moved back to the US in January, I figured I would try living in a new place with a different job market. I’m glad I did!