More Containers + AWS

I spent a lot of the past week hacking with containers, AWS, and database code, making things work.

After finally getting permission from AWS to spin EC2 instances with GPUs, I've been able to test the Docker container I made for the classifier and its dependencies, including the Flask server for URL classification. To do this, I created a Dockerfile that starts with an Ubuntu 16 image (with CUDA 10) that installs all the necessary dependencies for running the classifier. In AWS, I spun up an EC2 instance with a GPU where I ran an image of the container I made. The communication between that EC2 and the container works fine, as does the communication between the Flask server and the classifier, but I'm having an issue loading and using the model on the EC2's GPU.

I also refactored the Flask application code itself, modifying the format for HTTP calls and improving how the JSON objects were structured, along with cleaning up the classifier code base substantially. Another feature I added to the system is a super simple DynamoDB database to keep track of all of the URLs each container receives, their predicted label, and whether a human has labeled them. I used Python to write and test basic scripts to read, query, add to, and update the database.

Tasks for next week include successfully loading and running the classifier on AWS and forging ahead with developing the dynamic web server.