Reminder: CCAS Faculty Book Showcase and Book Workshop
A reminder for the CCAS Faculty Book Day on April 13, in GW National Churchill Library and Center (NCLC - Gelman 101). There will be two events, the CCAS Faculty Book Showcase during 11:30 - 1 pm, and CCAS Faculty Book Publishing Workshop 1:30 - 3pm. Those with recently published academic books are welcome to bring your books for display.
Sign up is optional and encouraged.
Reminder: GW Research Days
Please join us for the GW Research Days on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 and Wednesday, April 11, 2018, in Marvin Center, with 662 presenters expected across the two-day event! CCAS presentations will be on April 10. Details of the events can be found at https://researchdays.gwu.edu/schedule/.
NSF CAREER Workshop Series
Time/Location: Friday, April 20, 12-2pm, in SEH 2000, Friday, May 4, 12-2 pm, in SEH 2990.
Sign Up: Sign Up Webform
Description Once again, we are working with SEAS and OVPR to organize an NSF CAREER workshop series aimed at junior faculty for their submissions. This will begin with two workshops by Dr. Ken Chong, followed by 1-1 meetings with Dr. Carl Batt (some of you are already in touch with Dr. Batt). Past CAREER recipients are welcome to join to share your expertise, especially in the first workshop on April 20, or act as faculty mentor for our CAREER submission applicants. Details of the events are below.
Materials for the NEH Workshop
The materials for the NEH Workshop on March 29 is now available at google drive
Additional resources are available at
CCAS Research Resources
You will need to login to your GW email account to access.
Update on Internal Funding Process
- UFF / CCFF Those who submitted UFF to OVPR should have learned from OVPR that the decisions on UFF will be made this month (they will be a bit slower this year due to the extended UFF, but they expect more awards as a result). As soon as those decisions are made, OVPR will pass the unfunded UFF proposals to us so we can consider them for possible funding from CCFF.
- Dean's Research Chair We expect to inform the applicants in the coming week.
- Enhanced Travel Those proposals were received by March 30, and the funding decision will be notified this month.
- Nick-of-Time These proposals are processed as they come in throughout the year.
- CCAS DREAM Mentoring Award This is an award not internal funding. But we would like to remind you that, as announced in our Research Update on March 16, 2018, the nomination for this award is due April 13, 2018. Detailed information can be found our DREAM Website.
Partnerships between Science and Engineering Fields and the NSF TRIPODS Institutes (TRIPODS + X)
Full Proposal Deadline Date: May 29, 2018
Program Synopsis: Twelve NSF Transdisciplinary Research in Principles of Data Science (TRIPODS) Phase I Institutes were established in 2017 with the goal of promoting long-term, interdisciplinary research and training activities that engage theoretical computer scientists, statisticians, and mathematicians in developing the theoretical foundations of data science (see https://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=242888 ).
This TRIPODS + X solicitation seeks to expand the scope of the TRIPODS program by engaging researchers across other NSF disciplines and the TRIPODS research teams in collaborative activities. Working in concert with a TRIPODS organization, a TRIPODS + X project would focus on data-driven research challenges motivated by applications in one or more science and engineering domains or other activities aimed at building robust data science communities.
Please let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to pursue.
Department of Defense (DOD) office of Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (CDMRP)
FY18 funding opportunities are anticipated for the following programs:
Autism Research Program
Neurofibromatosis Research Program
Peer Reviewed Cancer Research Program
Prostate Cancer Research Program
Semiconductor Research Corporation
Letter of Intent due: April 16, 2018
Full proposal due: June 4, 2018
Semiconductor Research Corporation (SRC) is soliciting proposals in the area of Intelligent Cognitive Assistants (ICA). The ICA program will provide supplemental funding* to the Future of Work at the Human-Technology Frontier: Advancing Cognitive and Physical Capabilities (FW-HTF) program offered by the National Science Foundation.