Elizabeth Sullivan – GW Law’s First MSL in Government Procurement & Cybersecurity Law (MSL ’21)

We were delighted to speak recently with Elizabeth Sullivan, the first graduate of our new MSL in Government Procurement & Cybersecurity Law degree program. Elizabeth is the President of Madison Services Group – a woman-owned government relations business specializing in the small business, entrepreneurial, and government contracting sectors.

Please tell us a little about your background. What did you do before enrolling at GW Law?

I am President of a lobbying firm, Madison Services Group (MSGI), which focuses on advocacy for small and midsize business federal contractors. I joined the firm about 6 years ago and took over as President a little over a year ago. My journey to the government contracts world is not very straightforward. Prior to joining MSGI, I was teaching at a childcare center in Chicago through a program called Teach for America. Growing up in the DMV made me very aware of our political system, so I found that a lot of the problems in my classroom had to do with policies impacting the business side of childcare. With this realization, I decided to return to the policy world to try and make changes that help small businesses, just like the childcare centers where I taught. Government contracting policy has always been a large part of MSGI’s business, and the interest in serving those clients led to my love of the field.

Why did you decide to pursue an MSL degree in Government Procurement Law?

To be an effective advocate, you must know the policy subject inside and out. Government contracting is not exactly a field you can casually pick up one day and make effective policy changes. To catch-up to the many brilliant government contracts professionals I work with, I decided I needed to go back to school. Given that GW Law created the academic discipline of government contracts law, I was thrilled to see there was a way to earn a master’s degree without needing a JD. It was the silver bullet I was looking for that would allow me to get into the weeds on acquisition and make me a better lobbyist for my clients.

What influenced you to transfer into the new MSL degree program in Government Procurement & Cybersecurity Law.

One of the major issues for all government contractors right now is the implementation of an industry-wide cybersecurity certification called the Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC). As contractors repeatedly came to me to tell me about their issues with the implementation of this new certification, I started looking into the issue. After I opened one of the extensive guidance documents, I realized I was way out of my league. This led me to work with the law school to transfer into the MSL in Government Procurement & Cybersecurity degree program, where I could learn about cybersecurity and government contracting issues simultaneously. The intersection of these fields continues to expand, so I find myself using both components of my degree constantly.

Did anything surprise you about attending law school?

The writing. My job requires various forms of writing, but legal writing is a completely different style. I have found it particularly useful when writing Congressional testimonies and properly citing sources in client white papers. Additionally, I was pleasantly surprised by the structure of the classes. I expected a typical lecture, but that wasn’t the case at all. The classes are centered around an active discussion of the material, instead of just regurgitating what we covered in the readings and recorded lectures. This structure allowed me to gain valuable perspectives from the other students in the program, as well as learn from my professors’ experiences. 

What were some of your favorite aspects about attending law school?

The professors. I can’t say enough good things about the experts who teach our classes. For example, Professor Yukins teaches (among other courses) foreign government contracting. Not only is he an expert in this field, but he is actively working around the world to help shape other nations’ procurement systems. I don’t think you can get much better than that. Additionally, the network of students and alumni has been fantastic. It is a really welcoming community that has been extremely helpful both during and after my time in the program.

How has your scholarship influenced government procurement policies? 

I was able to get the House Small Business Committee to do a hearing on CMMC and shape the narrative. This was only possible because the cybersecurity component of my degree provided me with the knowledge to be able to understand these emerging policies. I’d like to give a shout-out to Dean Schenck for taking a leap of faith and admitting me into her program without any prior cybersecurity experience. I now use what I learned in my classes almost every day. Whether it is writing Congressional witness testimony or shaping new procurement policies, my understanding of the FAR and acquisition landscape directly impacts my work.

Congratulations on being the first graduate of our newest degree program! What are you plans now?

Thank you. I’ve already used my degree to launch a Secure Supply Chain Consortium to tackle issues related to small and midsize contractors. And honestly, I use the knowledge I gained throughout my time at GW Law daily. I continue to grow my company to focus on advocating for issues that impact small and midsize government contractors.

What advice do you have for any prospective students who may be considering an MSL in Government Procurement & Cybersecurity Law from GW Law School?

Connect with Dean Tillipman who can talk to you about whether this program is right for you. The importance of cybersecurity in federal procurement is only going to increase in the coming years, so if this is your field of interest, you have come to the right place. Also, connect with alumni in the government contracts/cybersecurity law communities – they can help you navigate the program and discuss their experiences. The GW Law government procurement community is unmatched.

What advice do you have for current MSL students?

Take advantage of the incredible range of expertise of other students in the program. The unique part of this program is that it brings together professionals in all areas of the government acquisition field. I have found incredible value in connecting with fellow students and sharing perspectives on the topics we are covering in class (and many others). Although we were in a virtual setting, it never hindered my connection with my classmates. I encourage current students to schedule calls or virtual meetings with your classmates – they are also eager to talk to you.