Home is … where YOU are.

By mahaliasmith

When deciding to study abroad, the most significant challenge I have come across is being racially stereotyped for what I look like on the outside, rather than who I truly am on the inside. For the first time, while living and studying in Shanghai, I am technically a part of the majority, while simultaneously remaining a part of the minority, for I do not speak Mandarin but I appear ethnically Chinese or South East Asian. It is quite an interesting feeling being surrounded by people who all look familiar, all the while constantly being reminded that I am still an "outsider" of sorts.
Nevertheless, Shanghai has already been an amazing, fascinating, concurrently exhausting journey. So far, I have been sick once, gotten lost twice on campus, attended three classes, been harassed by four Chinese "fake market" vendors, and eaten about 18 million bowls of noodles and rice.

——

Aside from one time in the past five or so years, following my grandfather passing away while abroad in high school, I cannot remember the last time I was homesick. Put in other words, I don't tend to miss anyone—even the people closest to my heart, such as my family and best friends—when I am away from them. I believe this is due to two specific reasons: first, I always feel connected to the people I love no matter how far away I am from them, and no matter how long it has been since last seeing them; second, I find I tend to acclimate to new environments with relative ease and speed.

——

My community in Shanghai is blossoming. With every new bowl of noodles I eat, WeChat friend I add (or should I say, Q-R code I scan), and stray cat I pet on the street, I feel more "at home" here.
Even the smallest things are starting to seem more familiar; from grabbing a quick late night snack at the mini-mart downstairs, to rolling out of bed five minutes before I need to leave for class, things are beginning to feel good here. And I don't just mean good in an "I'm studying abroad I love life" type of way (although I do), I mean in a truly gooood way—kind of similar to the cozy, serene feeling you get when you're finally home for the night and your warm bed is sitting there, beckoning, waiting to embrace you.

——

Here are a few of my favorite aspects of my home in Shanghai so far:

——

My room. Even the once considered horrendous, hideous Nickelodeon orange couch aesthetic, plus a few cacti here and there.

My bed, of course, personal temple and shrine—topped off with a few photos of my favorite people.

The VIEWS ... especially from my room. If you look closely at the far left-hand side of the second picture, you can see the Guanghua Tower where I will take almost all of my Fudan courses.

My roommate Isabelle—50% twin, 50% dust just the way I like her.

The tantalizing plant life.

Cue Kanye... All of the lights!

And last but most certainly not least, all my pals (note: not everyone is pictured here, but I am grateful for each and every human); CHEERS to 2018 Global Bachelor's Cohort!

——
儿行千里母担忧 — When children travel far from home, mothers never stop worrying.
This one goes out to you, mom; I love you.