Comedy in the United Kingdom

By Raman Mama

One of the most important parts of my abroad experience has been my growth with the art form of comedy. When I went to Shanghai last year, I began to perform. I took it with me to New York, and spent time on stages there, and even did some time in Washington.

However, the most interesting scene for me in comedy has been the London one. Here, I’ve done around 15 shows, each of which has taught me about the form, and made me a better comedian. I’ve performed in some pretty big clubs such as the Rising Star Comedy night in Holborn, and the Cavendish arms, which hosts a very popular evening. Before I leave, I’ll be taking the stage at the Top Secret Comedy Club in central London.

I’ve loved performing here, and it’s taught me a lot about how people view certain material. Whenever I tried to tell a joke about a more serious American topic like police brutality or gun violence, the crowd would listen, but it wouldn’t be something that they found funny because the topic is foreign as well as sensitive. However, here, I’ve done well talking about my experiences growing up as an African American, as well as reflections on other less tragic parts of American culture.

People here love learning about cultures that they don't interact with everyday, which is a large reason I feel like I've done okay here.

The comedy circuit here is interconnected. People love to help each other out, and will give a hand as often as they can. This has taught me about helping your fellow creative, and how the global community of artists is a very unique one.

Some of the best performers I know in London have been all over the world, but still have close ties to the city which they love so dearly. I’m glad to have been able to play a small part in this cities comedy circuit.