Mi Familia

By neerjapatel

Having grown up in Vermont, I have always been exposed to a sense of community. I was nervous when I first came to Barcelona, as it was a new city with a different culture. Although I knew a few people who were in the same program as me, I forced myself to go outside of my comfort zone by picking a random roommate and living in a homestay. This was extremely difficult at first because for the first time since freshman year of college, I was faced with a lack of familiarity. But, I quickly found my sense of community in Barcelona in a variety of different ways.

Picture 1: My roommate Emma has become one of my closest friends here abroad. With similar interests and personalities, we’ve been able to explore a lot of Barcelona together. Emma, as well as my host mom, have really made me feel like I’m at home in Barcelona.

Picture 2: Mi familia. My host mom has a daughter, Teresa, who is hosting two other students, Allison and Yona, and my host mom’s best friend, Marie Carmen, is also hosting two students, John and Peter. With occasional family dinners and outings, the six of us have become really good friends and are my core friends in Barcelona. Additionally, my host mom (to the far left), Conchita, has made me feel like her own daughter. She knows what foods Emma and I like, knows our daily schedules, and supports us in all of our endeavours in and out of Barcelona. Having this “familia” has been the most important aspect of me finding a community in Barcelona.

Picture 3: The street I live on is Passeig de Sant Joan which feels like a community because of the local Spaniards. The street is separated by a park where people walk their dogs and kids play on the playground. I feel a sense of community and safety as I say hello to the cleaning lady the first floor when I leave the house for class.

Picture 4: I walk past the Arc de Triomf every day when I go to my classes at a local university called Universidad Pampeau Fabre. Walking through the Arc makes me feel a sense of community and security as people are playing music and enjoying the sun. I’ve also found community in my classes as I'm working on group projects with locals who have been extremely welcoming.

Picture 5: I often go to this one café called 52 Café for lunch in between my classes. I’ve gone so many times since I’ve been here that the server knows what my friend and I order. This simple act of getting to know a stranger by entering their café has made me feel like I’m part of a community.

I can say I have finally made Barcelona my home with the people and the places around me. From having my own “familia” to seeing familiar faces at a coffee shop and being able to easily navigate my way around the city, Barcelona truly has my heart.