Influencing the Field of Campus Activities through Volunteering with NACA

by Kaitlyn Schmitt (kschmitt@gwu.edu)

When I was a new professional, I never expected to have an impact on the whole field of campus activities. Of course I hoped to influence my campus and its students, and I always planned to get involved in a professional association. Although, I didn’t really know what that meant or how to do it; I only knew that my professors, supervisors, and mentors all recommended getting involved professionally.

Fast forward seven years to 2018. I’ve held several volunteer roles with the National Association for Campus Activities (NACA), and I currently am serving as the Chair for the Education Advisory Group (EAG), a set of 8 professionals from across the country who provide guidance on the educational priorities of the association. That means I work directly with NACA’s Director for Education and Research and other national office staff on the association’s professional development offerings. In my time on the EAG, we’ve advised on a variety of topics, including webinars, podcasts, conferences, and marketing opportunities. We conducted focus groups of members to better understand the professional development needs of the association. I developed a rubric for reviewing submissions for educational sessions to improve the quality and consistency of educational sessions at conferences, and I am currently leading the effort to update the NACA competencies for campus activities professionals.

I recently attended the NACA National Convention in Boston - where I had attended the same conference 8 years earlier as a graduate student - and I had many opportunities to reflect on the evolution of my association involvement. My conference experience was vastly different than it was back in 2010. This year, I found myself not attending most of the showcases and marketplaces to talk to vendors and potential campus entertainment. Instead, I participated in focus groups, led networking events, and cultivated relationships with professionals at institutions both similar and different to mine. My conversations were less about how to effectively encourage student event attendance but more about how we can improve the association’s activities to prepare professionals do their jobs well. My to-do list after the convention included some items that related directly to my job, but also included many items for my volunteer role.

One of the questions we were asked in a focus group was why we volunteer for NACA. For me, it’s because I see so much potential in the organization. NACA as an association has provided me with opportunities to learn more about the field of campus activities and meet professionals whose job responsibilities are similar to mine. I believe I can help the association improve and continue to engage in professional development and provide it for other campus activities professionals.

If you’re interested in getting involved with NACA or another association, I encourage you to go for it! I know from experience that there is extensive variety in the volunteer roles in NACA: from selecting showcases for regional conferences to coordinating volunteer development for the entire national association. Each position develops different skills and influences the association in a different way, and every position allows you to meet new people and increase your network.

You don’t need to have a lot of experience to be a good volunteer. The best volunteers are the ones who are passionate about getting involved and motivated to complete their responsibilities. A vision for how they might contribute is a great bonus!

Here are some tips on how to get involved in the association of your choice:

• Look at the association website to learn about available volunteer positions
  • Talk to someone who is already serving as a volunteer and ask them about their experiences
  • Read association newsletters, where open volunteer positions are often advertised
  • Contact the national organization’s staff member who oversees volunteers and ask how to get involved
  • Apply for an open position!

Kaitlyn Schmitt is a Coordinator for Student Involvement in the Center for Student Engagement. She oversees student organization training and resources.