SUST 3003: World on a Plate

In "World on a Plate" by Professor Tara Scully, students study food history and science, while examining food industry connections to social issues like immigration, labor standards, and public health. Students learn about local implications of food systems through service with food banks, food recovery programs, and farmer's markets. This course is taught by renowned chef and humanitarian, José Andrés in collaboration with the professor.

If you are interested in taking a Community Engaged Course check out this link here 

Fall 2023

Professor: Melissa Maitlin-Shepard

Students Reporting: 66

Time Reported: 702.81 hours

Community Partners:

CP # of Students at a site 
A Future We Can Love 9
Anacostia Watershed Society 2
Angel's Garden 2
Arlington Food Assistance Center 1
Center for Excellence in Public Leadership (CEPL) 3
cleanearth4kids.org 1
Community Foodbank of New Jersey 1
DC Central Kitchen 16
Dreaming Out Loud 1
Eco-Reps 1
EdenWald Senior Living - Dining 1
Food & Friends 2
Food Recovery Network 4
Francis on the Hill 2
FRESHFARM Foodpring 9
Friends of the Mount Vernon Trail 3
Geological Sciences Program 1
GroW Garden 15
GW Center for Excellence in Public Leadership's (CEPL) e-CO Leadership Coaching Program 1
GW Climate & Health Institute 1
GW Compost 1
GW Hillel 3
GWCEPL - e- Co Leadership Coaching Program 2
Hemingway Memorial ( Helping Hands org) 1
Hope Multiplied 1
HSE English 1
Islamic Relief USA 1
Kappa Alpha Theta
Martha's Table 15
Milken Institute School of Public Health 3
Miriam's Kitchen 5
Montgomery College Food Pantry Support 1
New York City Food Bank 1
Office of Sustainability 3
Paws For a Cause GW 1
Ready, Set, Grow! 3
Redelicious 2
Ronald McDonald House Charities of Greater Washington, D.C. 1
Shrine of Sacred Heart 3
Smithsonian's Anacostia Community Museum 1
Streets of Hope Community Care Center 1
Students for Environmental Awareness 1
The GW Museum and The Textile Museum 1
The Engineers' Council 2
The Jacob Burns Community Legal Clinics
Voces de Esperanza. 1
The Store 4
Wikimedia 1

Student Comments:

"This experience allowed me to get a hands-on approach to better understand how local organizations are working to fight food insecurity. The support of the GroW Garden giving their produce to Miriam's Kitchen is a great example of some of the ways food can be made accessible in communities, which is one of the themes that we have been touching on in SUST 3003." - Student working with GroW Garden 

“Working at the FRESHFARM stand at the farmer's market was a very interesting experience because I have never seen such a tight-knit community of vendors. I worked to give out apple cider to the people coming to the stand, but it was a harder feat because we weren't selling anything. The people who ran the stand explained the importance of SNAP, showed me a little bit about how they distribute their tickets, and worked to keep a community strong. The employees also checked off head counts for each hour to put data into FRESHFARM's system, went around the stands to chat with them, and passed out cake to all the vendors at the end.”- Student working with FRESHFARM

“Today was particularly interesting as there was a woman sitting on the benches nearby who had been to Miriam's Kitchen before and thanked us for taking care of the garden, and offered to help us. It was powerful to see how the garden brings people together.”- Student working with Miriam’s Kitchen

“Overall, the experience was educational and enjoyable, it was nice to provide food for others, while learning how to garden, we were taught tips that I would be able to implement in my own personal garden. Secondly, a community garden brings people together, fostering a sense of community and shared responsibility. As individuals collaborate in maintaining communal green spaces, they not only strengthen social bonds but also contribute to the sustainable use and preservation of shared resources. I think it connected to the course in multiple different ways because there were many lectures where farming and sustainable sourcing of food. I think it also connected to access, which was something that was covered extensively in the course. It was interesting to me to learn that there are not many fresh vegetables offered in the dining hall, so many students use the garden to be able to have access to fresh vegetables. I would continue to participate in the volunteer garden for my own enjoyment for two reasons; I like to garden and I made lots of friends during the process. Lastly, I would continue to garden because it is important to me to contribute to my community, and I feel like I am assisting GW students who may not have adequate food resources.”- Student who worked with GroW Garden

Fall 2020

Professor: Tara Scully

This year, students served with six different community partners: FRESHFARM, Martha’s Table, DC Central Kitchen, Food & Friends, FoodPrints at Francis-Stevens, and DC Greens. The 95 students who reported their service activities accounted for 813 hours throughout the semester.  

Students in the community engaged course SUST 3003: World on a Plate were treated to an exciting last class when famous chef and activist José Andrés prepared his famous Paella for them all.

The event was featured in the GW Today“The course examined food history, science and industry, and also incorporated current issues in the global food landscape such as immigration and the undocumented food system as well as national security and food-related health issues.”  

Thank you to Dr. Tara Scully for her continued commitment to community-engaged scholarship in this course.  Learn more about her work here