CGD 2091 Design Studio II

In Marc Choi's CGD 2091: Design Studio II course, students learn about brand identity systems and programs, and the iterative design processes used in developing a cohesive and comprehensive branding program (print, social media, and motion). Using a community-centered design approach, student teams partner with local community service organizations like the Rock Creek Conservancy and Free Minds Book Club to visually capture the values and spirit of these organizations for online and print branding.

For information about Community Engaged Scholarship at GW: https://go.gwu.edu/cesc

Semester Reports

Spring 2023

Professor: Marc Choi

Partner 1: Foggy Bottom West End Village

Flyers created by students for FBWEV.
Community Guidebooks created for FBWEV.

Students worked with the Foggy Bottom West End Village to create new promotional materials: informational flyers, community flyers, brochures, and fact sheets.  Students aimed to create a suite of design materials that convey the feeling of community and that FBWEV is not just for elderly people trying to live independently, but is a multi-generational organization that works to build a home for anyone in the area that can benefit from its various programs.

"I’ve gotten so many compliments on these materials. Nobody can believe our brochure was designed by undergraduate college students. They really listened to us and managed to capture not just the message content but the values and tone we want to convey.” - Denise Snyder, Executive Director, Foggy Bottom West End Village

"I learned how to professionally communicate with a client and the best way to draw in new members." - Student

Link to Slide Deck from Student Presentation

Partner 2: Rock Creek Conservancy 

Students worked with the Rock Creek Conservancy to design event books, signage, save the dates, and other materials for RCC's annual Gala. Rock Creek Conservancy has hosted an annual gala every fall since 2015, celebrating the Rock Creek community and all who make our work possible. The proceeds of the Gala go towards the mission of the Conservancy, helping fuel the people-powered restoration that helps to protect the forests, keep our water clean, improve the park visitor experience, and increase equity of access to the park.

Spring 2022

Professor: Sharmila Karamchandani
Students Reporting: 10 students

This year, students worked with Horton’s Kids, SOAR Community Network, and Martha’s Table on design projects.

Community Partner  Student Involvement 

All students in this course engaged in the same service through a semester-long project to create branding materials and logos for a selected community partner to use. 

How many students were a part of this? 
Horton’s Kids  Horton’s Kids empowers children growing up in under-resourced communities in DC with academic and emotional support. The organization seeks to close the academic gap for each child through tutoring, health and wellness resources and support for parents.   
SOAR Community Network  SOAR utilizes behavioral science and evidence based practices to help leaders set strategic priorities, assemble the right talent, design cohesive, high performing teams and align technology to business objectives.   
Martha’s Table  Martha’s Table supports strong children, strong families, and strong communities by increasing access to quality education, health and wellness, and family resources.   

Student Comments

“I was super excited to get Horton's Kids as my organization for the rebrand project. I saw a clear vision for Horton's Kids in my head and I really like the impact that they are making. I have had a lot of fun coming up with branding visions for Horton's Kids and their feedback has been very helpful in the process."

"This experience has been very informative. I really liked being able to work with a client and I am glad to be able to be working for this particular organization."

Spring 2021

Professor: Maria Habib
Students Reporting: 12
Time Reported: 472 hours
This year, students worked with the Rock Creek Conservancy, Free Minds Book Club, and the US Dream Academy on design projects.

Rock Creek Conservancy (RCC)

Students worked with the Rock Creek Conservancy to create updated branding for their organization as well as design materials for specific events, such as their annual gala.

Students' Presentation to the Rock Creek Conservancy

Free Minds Book Club

Students worked collaboratively with Free Minds Book Club to capture the spirit of the organization and present it with a visual rebrand that would elevate their organization.

Students' Presentation to Free Minds

US Dream Academy

The US Dream Academy will be using the templates/work the students created moving forward and were so impressed with the proposed refresh of their logo that they will be using their process work to inform their next steps with their brand.

Students' presentation to US Dream Academy

Student Comments

“I am not the designer that came into our little virtual classroom at the start of the semester. This semester felt like such a creative breakthrough. Across the board as a designer I feel as though I have gotten a much clearer feel for my style, which in change, also allowed me to be more open-minded and flexible with creating outside of my comfort zone, and adapting to change and collaboration... From the brainstorming, to the creative brief, logo process, gala materials, digital elements, we worked hand in hand, making all of the creative decisions. We were able to find the balance between trusting each designer to use their own skills and trust their judgement, and directing one another as to how to approach an element that we were creating. Even though there were many components in our final deliverables, and there were many of us working together on it, it all still felt like one cohesive outcome. This whole process completely shifted my perspective on collaborative work, and was by far the most rewarding project I have done in my design career thus far. This semester was truly a game changer for me.” – A student serving with the Rock Creek Conservancy

"This project taught me so, so much and I look back feeling so many emotions, but mostly gratitude to be given this real-world experience. It didn't feel real until the members watched us present and seeing their faces and genuine reactions made my heart happy and all those long and stressful hours worth it. It reminded me that even when I feel burnt out and not at my best we are doing real honest work for people and organizations that are truthful and ignite change, and that is the type of work I want to continue to do in my future design career." -  A student serving with Free Minds Book Club

"I used to think of what I wish I knew when a project is over, what I would have done differently if given a second chance, but I leave this year thinking of how much I've grown, how much I've learned, how many people have made an impact on my life as a human and design student, and how much I've loved and been passionate about something I didn't even know existed up until the start of this year. Even during the best and hardest points of this school year, the thing that kept me going was designing with people who love design just as much as I do, to feel such a strong, innate drive to do something that leaves an impact on others no matter how big or small, to feel such a sense of life and purpose with the act of making.” -  A student serving with Free Minds Book Club

“These few weeks I was bouncing all over the place and felt that I was spending a lot of time trying to retrace the workmark and bring that handwritten quality to life...It made me realize that I feel my strengths are in the conceptual iterations stages and I feel the most joy when I can step back from my own work and collaborate, direct, and ensure that the work rings true and embodies the overall vision.” – A student serving with Free Minds Book Club

“For this week, I worked on final deliverables, finishing the style sheet, and creating a presentation that highlighted my process over the entire semester. This week in particular showed me the stresses and struggles of working with a team virtually, but I appreciate my team so much and how hardworking they have been all semester and throughout this entire project.” – A student serving with Rock Creek Conservancy