Interview with Maria Swaby

Maria Swaby (LLM ’12)—who serves as the U.S. General Services Administration’s (GSA) Procurement & Task & Delivery Order Ombudsman and GSA Industry Liaison—returns to GW Law this Spring semester to co-teach our Suspension and Debarment course with Professors Chris Yukins and John Pachter. She is also a member of the GW Law Government Contracts Advisory Council.

We had the opportunity to learn about Professor Swaby’s career, her experience earning her LLM in Government Procurement Law at GW Law, and what she looks forward to about teaching Suspension and Debarment.

Disclaimer: The content, views, and opinions expressed on this page are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of GSA or the United States Government. – Maria Swaby

Please describe your career path. How did you become interested in the government contracts field?

I started off my career in Connecticut where I went to law school.  I clerked for a few months in the Hartford Superior Court and then practiced labor and employment law at a large law firm for about three years. I then worked for a division of a large areo-space contractor and while at that employer, I decided I wanted to move out of Connecticut to the D.C. area. My employer had been looking into getting back into government business and wanted someone who could start up and run that sector. They wanted to hire an attorney rather than a business professional because of the complexity of government contracts. They asked me if I would be interested and even though I knew nothing about government contracts law at the time, I said yes, as they would move me to the DC area. I started working on getting the company on the GSA Multiple Awards Schedule and that is when I fell in love with the government procurement field.

Why did you decide to seek an LLM in Government Procurement Law from GW Law School? How did that experience impact your career?

I decided to seek an LLM in government procurement law because shortly after I started my new job in the DC area, I realized how complex government contracting is and that I did not know what I was doing. Once I learned that certain missteps could lead to serious consequences including suspension and debarment, not just for the division I worked for, but also the parent company and its subsidiaries, I decided to enroll in the GW Law Government Procurement Law Program.

Enrolling in the program was the best career decision I ever made and it is at least 50 percent responsible for the totally satisfying and successful career I have had in this arena. Professors Yukins, Schooner, and Gordon were instrumental in helping me learn and grow in my knowledge and expertise in government procurement law and policy. They not only taught me the substance of government procurement law, but they advised me, guided me, and encouraged me during my years as a student there, and they continue to do so even today. I owe them a depth of gratitude. Additionally, there is no place like GW Law to learn about government contracting. The exposure to the experts in this field is unparalleled, be they your own classmates, practitioners, judges, professors (faculty, adjunct or visiting), and GW’s connections to the government, employers, or world-wide institutions such as the World Bank.

During the spring semester, you will be co-teaching Suspension and Debarment with Professors Yukins and Pachter. What inspired you to return to GW Law in this capacity?

I don’t think I ever left GW Law. Since I graduated, I have always been involved on some level. I have mentored students, appeared as guest speaker in a few courses multiple times over the years, played the SDO in multiple mock suspension and debarment hearings, and hired GW law graduates and student interns. That said, I was inspired to formalize my involvement with GW Law by co-teaching a class as I have a heart for students, especially law students. I remember that period of time in my life being one where I had the most angst, wondering how I would get through whatever semester I was going through, if I would get a job after graduation, how I would pay back my student loans, etc. The listening ear and guidance of several professors and older adults helped me move through that period. I want to be that kind of person for my students. So, although I am excited about co-teaching the class with Professors Yukins and Pachter, I am most excited about being there for the GW students.

What have you enjoyed most about studying and teaching at GW Law?

The thing I enjoyed most about studying at GW Law was the culture of caring for the well-being of the students. Beyond the professors who were very understanding of the fact that some of their students were full time working professionals who needed flexibility, the school administration demonstrated a level of care that I have never seen before at the other educational institutions I attended. Hands down, interacting with the students is what I enjoy most about teaching at GW Law.

What advice would you give a student considering a career in government procurement law.

If you want to be truly successful and satisfied in your career in government procurement law, or any other profession, do not chase after outward expressions of success such as money, title, power, and prestige. Instead, take the time to do the inner work and find out who you are, what you want, and what moves you. This requires moments of solitude where you ask yourself these questions, write them down, and start paying attention to the answers that come to you. Write down those answers too. This discovery is hard work, and it takes time and patience with yourself. However, you will find the answers. Once you do, go for it with all you have got, and you will thrive and be happy in your career.