Navigating Your First Year as an Introvert – By PA Grace Truslow!

Entering college is a large life transition for everyone. As an introvert, it may seem as though many of the keys to integrating into this new and dynamic environment are held by those who are more naturally outgoing. However, you can have an incredible first year by defining goals based on your own strengths, taking small steps to be proactive, and taking advantage of your unique assets.

Choose What Makes You Happy

In transitioning to a new environment, it was very important to me that I was able to make my own definitions of what brought me joy. One of the benefits of college is that you have greater autonomy over your schedule and how you best spend your free time should be an individual decision. At a larger school like GWU and in a city like DC, there are a multitude of options available in how you spend your time. There is no right answer as to how to have fun, relax, and even how to best work! Academics can provide sufficient stress for anyone. It is important to dedicate your free time to things that you personally find stress free and fulfilling. When scheduling activities with my friends, I like to also ensure that I have sufficient buffer time for myself to recharge and reflect. Wherever you are on the scale of introvert or extervertedness, it is important to recognize that how you best spend your personal time is an individual decision.

Set Small Goals to be Proactive

Part of the college experience is being exposed to new ideas, people, experiences, and opportunities and being open to change. I still think it is very important to make the most or your college experience and therefore to challenge yourself to be proactive. I found it very helpful to set small, short term goals to become integrated into my new community. These can include attending an org fair, going to a general body meeting, going to office hours, or having impromptu conversations with your peers. The great thing about these small goals is that there is no additional pressure attached. If you really like an org or develop a friendship, that is great! If you go to an event and then want to leave, that is great too (so long as to take any freebies before you go). Giving yourself the time and space to explore your environment in your first semester will allow you to build a stronger foundation in the long run. It will also remove unnecessary pressure from these exploratory activities. For me some of these easy tasks have led to meaningful relationships and amazing opportunities. As long as you are taking these small steps to be proactive, you can explore the many possibilities that college has to offer while still protecting your boundaries.

The Introvert Advantage?

I also think it is important to recognize the many assets that introverts bring to both the college experience and to life. For me, being an introvert meant that I already knew how to structure my alone time going into college. I am can both spead quality time with my friends and be happy in my own company. I am also able to enjoy the peace that comes from the time that I need to dedicate to studying by myself. Being more observational and having the patience to assess new situations can enable you to make more informed decisions about to spend your sometimes limited time and energy. In the classroom setting, having strong listening skills has helped me to build greater perspectives and make quality contributions to discussions. Your listening abilities also help to build quality interpersonal relationships. While these might take some time to develop, they will likely be very fulfilling in the long run. Successfully navigating your first year as introvert does not mean changing the things that make you uniquely amazing, but rather understanding how you can use these attributes to your advantage.

For me, successfully navigating my first year as introvert meant challenging myself to engage in new experiences. Doing so with an understanding of the time and space I needed and the importance of my boundaries allowed me to find the friendships, activities, and opportunities that are most fulfilling for me. The beginning of the start of college can understandably be overwhelming for people who are more introverted. Yet through out my first year I found that I was actually able to tap into the many advantages of being an introvert. Give yourself the time and space you need to explore the opportunities that college has to offer, and I am confident that you will find a number of ways to the make the most of your year!