An Update from Ben

Greetings, UHP community. I am writing to share some personal news. Over the summer, I will be leaving my role at GWU and the University Honors Program. I’ve accepted a teaching job at a high school in Maryland, where I will be teaching Literature/Humanities. While I’m excited for the new chapter, I am sad to leave this wonderful, intellectually-omnivorous community of learners. 

My last day at GW will be Friday, June 4, so I will still be around in the short term. We’ll have more info about filling my position soon, but for now, I cannot emphasize enough: you are in amazing hands with Brianna, who – as you all know – is completely fabulous and has been a joy to co-advise you all with. And I know the rest of the wonderful UHP staff – Eydie, Josh, Dr. Kung, and the faculty – will continue to take excellent care of you. I’ll still be hanging out on Linkedin and hope we can all connect there (please add me if you haven’t!) 

Students, it has been a joy to watch you grow and become such amazing people. I have been consistently inspired, from day one. This may sound mushy, but I mean it: I want you to never doubt your greatness. If ever you’re feeling down – or perhaps anxious about what’s to come – know that you are enough and beyond. The thoughtfulness, care, dedication, and hard work that I’ve seen from the UHP cohort is nothing short of inspiring. I sleep more soundly knowing the world will soon be in your hands. 

Just promise me that you’ll remember to take care of yourselves. Drink lots of water. Get 7-8 hours of sleep. Eat your veggies. Turn off your phone from time to time. Enjoy your hobbies. Go outside. Adopt some plants. Remember to have fun (seriously – even science agrees with me on that.) And in the words of the estimable poet Mary Oliver, “Keep some room in your heart for the unimaginable.”

I hope to ‘see’ many of you at the graduation celebration on May 15 (and hopefully before!)  

Always omnivorous, 

Ben