The Must-Dos When You Are in Kathmandu

By sheldonwongg

I’ve been in Kathmandu for roughly two months now and it has been a non-stop whirl wind of a time. During my time here, I have been exploring all of Kathmandu and have come up with a list of must-dos if you ever find yourself in this busy busy city.

Boudha Stupa

My home! I’ve been living with a Tibetan family in Boudha, Kathmandu during my time here and it’s considered one of the greatest sites for spirituality in Tibetan Buddhism. It is the largest stupa in the world and thousands of years old. While you’re here, make sure you do some Korra (circumambulating around the stupa), but make sure you are walking clockwise. Many believe that doing korra will earn good merit in life and led to a prosperous life. The stupa is also home to many shops and restaurants that will keep your time (and wallets) for the day.

Ason Markets

If you love to shop like I do, then Ason is the go to place for you. Here, you will find the best authentic bazaar shopping in the Kathmandu valley. You can find anything from traditional kurtas, to modern clothing, to miles of accessories, and souvenirs for friends. One of the really unique things that is available in Nepal is really cheap tailoring. My favorite activity is going to a fabric shop to pick out a fabric I think is super cool, then getting it tailored into a custom one of a kind shirt.

Saturday Farmer’s Markets

Being in Kathmandu can be exhausting a times with all the smog and dust. There also isn’t that much variety in the type of food you can get in Nepal. So unless you really love Dal Bhat, then I highly recommend this Saturday Farmer’s Market at Le Sherpa in Lazimpat. It is an outdoor market that happens every Saturday where local and organic food companies set up stalls with *free* samples and items to sell. After weeks of eating three carb meals, it really nice to consume some fruits and veggies (with the occasional wheatgrass shot!)

Thamel

This is the classic tourist spot in Kathmandu. Although not my favorite spot in the city, it is a happening place for a lot of reasons. Most places in Kathmandu are legally required to shut down by 9pm so Thamel is really the only place where you can find nightlife. I got to see one of my teachers perform the Vagina Monologues in a Jimmy Hendrix themed rock bar and spent the night dancing at an underground dance club. During the day, you can find a plethora of shopping. Here, you can find your North Fakes to purchase and spread of Nepalese clothing.