My Oxford Community

By mariyaskhan

Wow, I can’t believe that this course is already halfway over! The Oxford term is winding down to its final week, and then I have to write a seminar essay and a 6,000 word research paper. We only have four hours of class a week, so I spend most of my time in the libraries working on my weekly 5-9 page essays or exploring Oxford. I’ve worked through many of the routes and shortcuts I use on the daily, and I don’t feel overwhelmed anymore with getting the layout of the city. I guess you could say that I have finally made Oxford my home. Here are the places in Oxford where I spend most of my days.

The Old Bodleian Library and the Radcliffe Camera

Not 24 hour libraries like Gelman, but they have a ton of history to make up for it. The Bodleian is one of the oldest libraries in Europe (opened in 1602!) and contains more than 12 million books. I mainly use the Old Bodleian and Radcliffe Camera. A lot of my books are in the Gladstone Link (AKA Mordor), which connects these two libraries and resides below them. I always like to change up my reading spots a bit, but I think the Upper Reading Room in the Old Bodleian is my favorite.

Keble College

Keble is definitely the most unique of all the colleges with its red brick. Unfortunately I can’t sit on the grassy lawn and do homework (1 – it’s too cold and, 2 – Oxford has strict laws to keep people off college lawns). But I do head to the 24 hour Keble Library when I really want a change and more of a walk. It’s beautiful though (peep one of my window views). I don’t have a picture of the Dining Hall, but literally think of Hogwart's Great Hall and it’s basically the same thing. I love going with friends to the cheap weekend brunches or the formal halls, where you have to wear your Oxford gown and sit while the staff serves you a fancy three course meal.

CMRS Lounge and Kitchen

The program only has 34 students (including me), so we’re a pretty small, close-knit group. There’s this big communal kitchen and lounge space where we cook our meals and spend time together. Sometimes the room is silent and filled with students working on readings and assignments. Other times the room is loud and filled with students chatting about their days or doing a movie night. And you catch some AH-mazing views here.

The Nosebag

I work in so many cafés around Oxford, and this is one of my favorites. Everyone in my program loves it here too, and we especially love the tea, coffee, scones, meals, and desserts. One time I walked in to order a mocha and some lasagna, and one of my friends walked in behind me. We got our food and found another friend sitting at one of the big tables, and then 20 minutes later another friend found and joined us. It’s the best café to sit and do work for hours. Trust me, I’ve spent five hours in the Nosebag before.

Art Café

You gotta love the artsy cafés. I love getting smoothies and breakfast food (mini pancakes!) and lunch (sandwiches, soups, pasta – you name it!). I sit on the top floor and spend a few hours eating and working on my readings. I spend a longer amount of time at the Nosebag, but I love how relaxing it is in the morning, especially with the surrounding greenery and local artworks.

Mortons

This café is the closest place to my building, so it’s a super great option if you want to walk like 5 feet to get your food. And the highlight of this place is the little log fireplace they have! When it’s cold outside, it’s great to grab a latte and a panini and sit by the warm fireplace. They even have a sign outside the door saying “Come in – our log fire is LIT!” If that’s not a reason to stay, then I don’t know what is.

Streets of Oxford

I’ve found a community just walking down the streets of Oxford. I’ve read stories (like Dorothy Sayer’s feminist mystery novel Gaudy Night) set in Oxford, so it’s amazing to walk down the same streets as famous and fictional characters. It really makes you feel like you’re part of history and a greater Oxford community, and you feel super lucky to be there. For example, that street with the lamp-post is where C.S. Lewis used to walk every day, and that is where he imagined a little girl named Lucy seeing a fawn named Mr. Tumnus in a land called Narnia. How cool is that?