A colourful city – Prague

By bmlee18

Prague was possibly one of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen, especially during the day, when the sun shone brightly and accentuated the orange tiled roofs of homes and buildings. What was particularly convenient about the city was how easily accessible all the main sites were on foot. It certainly helped to have booked a centrally located accommodation (a charming studio right next to the train station), but generally, I found the city relatively easy to navigate. Now, there's no doubt that Prague could, at times, be rather confusing because of the winding roads that seemed to be devoid of organisation and planning - which could perhaps be said of many older European cities. But thanks to Google Maps, I was able to traverse from one end of Old Town to the other without much problem.

Walking along Charles Bridge was one of my favorite moments. Many have called the Charles Bridge as possibly the most beautiful bridge ever constructed, and true to this statement, the Gothic architecture did not fail to impress me. Adorned with Baroque statues and providing an exceptional view of Old Town behind and Malá Strana and Prague Castle up ahead, the bridge was packed with excited visitors and lined with street musicians and souvenir stalls. The particular day on which I had crossed the bridge and back was beautiful, with the Vltava River glistening from the sun and the pastel colours of nearby buildings all the more highlighted. The chit-chat and lively music further added to the animated atmosphere.

To get to the bridge, I first passed by the shops and restaurants of Old Town and heard the famous Astronomical Clock strike noon. After passing through and admiring the bridge, I visited the John Lennon Wall decorated with graffiti art expressing political sentiments and various Beatles-related themes. Supposedly, there had been attempts to whitewash the wall, especially during the communist era, but the wall has remained forever decorated with tributes to the musical genius of the Beatles and the symbol they were for Western pop music at large and certain political movements (e.g. pacifism).

After visiting the Lennon Wall, I traversed the rather steep hill up to the Prague Castle, from which I had a spectacular view of the city of Prague. I spent most of the day at the castle complex, visiting the Old Royal Palace, St. Vitus Cathedral, St. George's Basilica, and the Golden Lane, as well the various exhibitions and museums scattered throughout. I was able to learn about the history of the complex, and to personally come to understand the significance behind the buildings within the castle grounds - for example, how the architecturally astounding St. Vitus Cathedral was the place of coronation for Czech monarchs and continues to be a key place of religious worship. I thought that the Golden Lane of the grounds was particularly fascinating - a street lined with really tiny, pastel-coloured houses with ceilings that almost touched my head (and I'm a pretty small person). Some of the houses had been occupied by notable figures such as the writer Franz Kafka.

As for the meals that I relished at Prague, I specifically remember this cheap eats butchery called "Nase Maso." This was probably one of the best meals I had during my entire Europe trip. For three people, the cost of the meal came out to be approximately 16 USD. Now, that's a great deal. We ordered two hamburgers, with perfectly cooked beef patties, red onions, and pickles, as well as a dish of melt-in-your-mouth meatloaf that came with two slices of freshly baked sourdough. I know that were I to come back to Prague, I would hit this place first thing.

I'm already missing the city - the lively atmosphere, the beautiful landscape that rightfully bears the status as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the delicious meals (especially anything meat-oriented), and the friendliness of locals. It's definitely a place I hope to visit again!