Valparaiso: City of Colors

By vgosalvez11

Now I am not actually sure if that is a real nick name for Valpo or not but I really think it is should be. Valparaiso is a Chilean port city which is famous for its steep funiculars, the incredible street art and the numerous colorful, clifftop homes. Valparaiso was also once home to the Nobel Prizing winning Chilean poet Pablo Neruda. As one of only two noble prize winners from Chile Neruda is something of a national hero, and several of his houses and other important buildings have been turned into wonderful museums and monuments to him.

The city of Valparaiso and its sister beach town of Vina del Mar are very important to any Santiago study abroad experience. At first glance Santiago could sometimes be mistaken for many other modern cities in Europe and North America. It is large and busy, a bit dirty (but less so than NYC) and generally seems pretty modern and westernized. If you don't know where to look you might miss the history. Valparaiso on the other hand allows you to see more of the art and culture of  staring you right in the face. And it is so close to Santiago that it will surely be visited by and exchange student. You can get to either Valpo or Vina from Santiago in just a quick 90 minute bus right that costs between $5 and $10 US Dollars.

Since I have been in Santiago (about 8 weeks) I was hearing so much about other people's trips to Valparaiso. i had made it out to the beach at Vina but Valpo was very much lacking in my life. So on Friday morning I fought against my impending cold and we dragged our selves through Semana Santa (Easter Weekend) traffic to Valpo.

The city is incredibly unique and beautiful, the vibe is kind of San Francisco meets mini Barcelona but in South America. (I know this comparision doesn't make much sense but it is very hard to describe. My self and some friends spent the afternoon wandering up and down the huge hills, taking tons of pictures of the incredible street art and enjoying the ocean views. (I am a beach girl and I start to shrivel and die if I don't see the ocean once every 3 weeks).

The proximity of Valpo really add another new and unique perspective to life in Chile and Santiago and I love that I am able to come so easily. I know we are going to come back to enjoy more of the museums and learn about the history of Pablo Neruda as well as the art in the city. But in the meantime please enjoy some of the really fun pictures I got to take!! For now I am just trying to cure my self of a pretty rough cold, since my immune system finally caught up and realized I am in a totally new country with totally new germs! YAY!