Creating Community

By camitakesthailand

Oh how I Thailand. In Thailand you never feel unwelcome. The whole country is your community. But I live in Issan (the NE of Thailand). Issan is known for being the most impoverished, but also the friendliest. I attend Khon Kaen University in Khon Kaen, in the province of Khon Kaen.
Img1

I live in the dorms of the KKU. I live with both Thai and other American students on the program. We each have a Thai roommate. Above our some of the Thai roommates and American students out for dinner.

img2

This is my sweet roommate Yui. She is a senior studying Spanish. I am her third CIEE roommate. She is extraordinarily chill which is perfect. She makes me feel so relaxed whenever I am in the room.
img3

As part of my program we spend short term periods in communities. Shown above is my Meh (mom). She is lives in the Mattarwarp Village. I have now stayed with her twice. She is a strong, hard working women. Whenever we are in the villages we have so much fun eating and playing with the kids. I like to cuddle with the babies and the mass community of stray animals.
img4

Above are the students in my program and the head of the Sanagrind Infertility Clinic. This is my closest community. I spend 12 hours a day with these females. We are from all over the country and bring so many different personalities to the table. I would be lying if I said there wasn't a tough transition to spending so much time with the same 18 people. But now I couldn't imagine it any other way. I care deeply for all of them. It is also very empowering to have an all female (unintentionally) program.
Img5

The last part of my central study abroad community is this beauty shown above. Her name is Raven and she is from San Fran. She is a hilarious and bubbly partner in crime. I have traveled all through Thailand with her and we aren't done yet! (I am currently writing this from Bangkok where we are spending our weekend).