The Most Memorable Farewell

By conniezhanger

One of the best memories of this incredible study abroad actually occurred at the very end of the trip, during my flight to visit my grandparents in China. The brief interaction that I had summarized and symbolized all of the great things that I had done, seen, and learned.

After an extremely busy week of last-minute events and goodbyes, I was distraught to board the plane which I believed was taking me away from my great adventures. However, my European experience was prolonged when I found myself sitting next to a German, conversing with him throughout the entire duration of the nine hour flight. He asked me about how my stay in "Deutschland" was, and I asked him to give me his perspective about growing up in Germany. Then we compared and contrasted our lifestyles with American culture, and mused about the things that we would see in 2015 China. While the plane eventually landed and we bid our farewells, this extension of my German experience made a lasting impression on me as the final realization of all the wonderful things that I had done. Despite my determination to continue my wonderful experiences and learning, the reality of the ending semester had instilled in me some fear that this encounter alleviated. My new friend had encouraged me by reminding me of the strength that I had within myself, and the wonderful cultures, friends, and family that I was so lucky to have supporting me.