The final countdown!

By fdecristofaro

At this moment I have finished my sample collection and also completed the analysis of the water samples. The process has not progressed as smoothly as I expected however this is something that one must expect to encounter both in the field of science and in the culture of Zanzibar. Working with the Institute of Marine Science on Zanzibar, which is a part of the University of Dar Es Salaam, there are many interesting professors and I have had the opportunity to access their wonderful resources but there are also factors that must be considered, such as IMS being closed over the weekend and Fridays are half days so that the faculty can attend prayer. These factors have made the past week go by slowly but I am happy to have finished. Now I am focusing on background research of Sugar Cane and its effect on the environment as well as finishing my paper on the work I have been doing. That aspect of my project has also changed; I do not have as much access to the factory as I originally hoped for, however after speaking with the management I know that they have implemented some changes in line with new regulations. I hope to reach out to a law professor we had a lecture from in Dar Es Salaam and find out how much environmental laws have changed in the past 10 years, especially as they relate to industry and pollution.

An interesting local development concerning the sugar cane factory came up right before I went to collect my first samples at the factory. A few acres were burned during the night by members of the community who are upset with the factory. This did concern me but after talking with advisors I got a guide to lead me to my collection samples. This makes what I am hoping to do more pertinent to the community. I think by showing the improvements that I have discussed with the management of the factory there are huge improvements. I am not sure that the community will appreciate this and obviously they have other qualms with the sugar cane factory and its impact. I do not think I have the ability to mend the rift between the factory and the community but I hope to emphasize the huge steps that have been taken to mitigate the negative effects of sugar cane and its industry. Future studies by students at SIT can also continue my work and keep sampling the rivers and do other sorts of environmental surveys to continue to monitor the factory and the healthiness of the surrounding ecosystem. I believe if I do a very good job on my paper I can continue this project far into the future by encouraging future SIT students to continue this which will benefit the project and the community.

Collected samples after sugar was raided and burned, finished lab analysis, and beginning the final paper. #almost there #3weeksleft