The Adventure

By meaggymurphy

This last post from Spain was written from a bus between Pamplona and Madrid. I decided to spend the weekend getting a little more familiar with the capital, since I was only there for less than 24 hours the first day I arrived.

I think it's fitting to take the time to look back on the most important thing I learned during my very short 4 months away from GW. Of course, I learned a lot about how Spain operates, it's culture, it's language-the usual things that I'll be able to cite for family and friends when they ask how Pamplona is different from the U.S.
Those things are important, but not THE most important. My biggest "life lesson" has been to always chose the adventure over what you know. What you know will most likely be there when you come back, so why miss out? If you surround yourself on your adventure with people who truly care and have your best interest, there's no reason to second guess your decisions. I have been so lucky, literally from day 1, to have found "guardian angels" in the people that have surrounded me throughout my experiences. People who have opened up their homes, or patiently explained the way things work, or were simply there for me as friends. I think the biggest reason I'm not afraid to take opportunities or have new experiences is because I know I have great people to fall back on if/when I need them.
In the end, studying in Spain has been everything I wanted, and then some. I chose the adventure and I feel content that I'll go home knowing it was a success. It's a little strange to say, but I feel proud of myself. I didn't break down and go running home (it would have been a long run) or waste a single minute missing the safety and comfort of GW. I packed a lot of adventure into this semester, and lived every second of it. Lesson learned!