True Life: Egypt Made Me Grow Up

By littlemisadventures

I am lucky enough to be in Cairo with M.A., my best friend at GW. We’ve helped each other through almost three months in Egypt. But I’ve had to figure lots of things out myself, by experience or by trial and error.

It’s often said that students like to slack off while abroad, but I think being here has made me a better student. I have the responsibility of getting all my work done well and on time. That seems like an obvious statement, but it’s something I’ve had to work on. It’s hard to stay on task when someone’s always going to a party or trying a new restaurant, so sometimes I have to take a pass on fun. But whether it’s through field trips or all the real-life applications of class material, the distinction between school and fun is blurred anyways. I’m very invested in my classes here. Wanting to do well in them- to work as hard as I know my professors are working- is what keeps me focused. It’s worth it when I see a temple and know exactly what pharaoh built it, or when I get to use new vocabulary in conversation.

Of course, I love exploring with my friends, but sometimes just making your own plans is the best way to operate. Since I’ve become more familiar with different areas and streets, I do lots of exploring by myself, or with just one or two people. Even a short walk is an adventure. I’ve learned to deal with protests, traffic, getting sick, getting lost, and pushy perfume salesmen. You also have to be prepared for the more superficial inconveniences Egypt throws your way. This weekend, I went with a friend to a second-hand clothes market in Boolaq. As we weaved our way through the crowds, I stepped in what can only be described as a puddle of food, covering my feet with some type of sauce. If this had happened to me a year ago, it would have ruined my day. Instead, I splashed my water bottle over my feet and kept shopping. You have to adapt to this kind of thing.

Despite language barriers, I’ve had to become more assertive. You have to not take nonsense from anyone and speak up, even when it’s awkward. Occasionally, if I’m in a cab with guys, the driver won’t negotiate with or even acknowledge me. When I’m the only one who knows where we’re going, though, I have to make myself heard.

Even something as simple as eating requires self-reliance. Technically we have a cafeteria in our dorm, but the only things it really offers are tea and powdered coffee. Even for those items, one never knows when it will be open. It is therefore up to us to keep ourselves fed and watered. We buy food by the meal, rather than stockpiling it in our rooms. Having to venture out for every meal necessitates navigating Cairo (or at least Zamalek) and speaking Arabic on a regular basis- or however regularly you want to eat.

I’ve met some amazing people here who have helped me acclimate to life in Egypt. But when I translate street signs or even just have a successful cab ride all by myself, it feels like the effort I put into living here pays off. Those little moments have gotten me through a lot, and they’re what make me want to stay here.