HSSJ 2170: Professional Relationships & Human Services

In HSSJ 2170, Professor Linda-Jeanne Mack leads a dynamic Community Engaged course focused on cultivating professional communication skills within the human services field. Through this course, students gain practical experience in engaging professionally with individuals and groups, preparing them for impactful interactions within diverse human service settings. The primary goal of HSSJ 2170 is to help students understand personal and cultural bias and improve their listening skills. Professor Mack emphasizes the importance of effective communication in fostering positive relationships and delivering quality care and support to individuals and communities in need.

Professor Mack's course extends beyond theoretical knowledge, encouraging students to reflect on the ethical dimensions of professional communication within the human services field. This reflective approach fosters a deeper understanding of the responsibilities and ethical considerations inherent in serving vulnerable populations. Moreover, HSSJ 2170 emphasizes the value of cultural competence and sensitivity in communication. Students learn to recognize and appreciate diverse perspectives, which is crucial for building trust and rapport in cross-cultural interactions within human services settings. This course prepares students to navigate the complexities of the field with confidence and empathy, positioning them for success in their future roles as compassionate and effective human service professionals.

For information about Community Engaged Scholarship at GW:https://go.gwu.edu/cesc

Fall 2023

Professor:  Linda-Jeanne Mack
Students Reporting: 20
Time Reported:  485

Community Partners:

CP # of students at site
826DC 1
Capital Area Food Bank 1
Children's Defense Fund 1
Foggy Bottom West End Senior Villages 4
Francis on the Hill 1
FRESHFARM FoodPrints 2
GroW Garden 1
GW Black Student Athlete Alliance (BSAA) 1
Horton's Kids 2
Justice Policy Institute 1
Latino Student Fund 4
Little Friends for Peace (LFFP) 1
Martha's Table 1
Miriam's Kitchen 3
The Petey Greene Program 1
Thomson Elementary School 4

Student Comments:

"One of the most relaxing and thoughtful experiences. I Learned to be patient while doing service work. The other volunteers are extremely welcoming and joyful to be around. I am sad that the gardening hours might come to an end when the winter kicks in, but I am excited to volunteer and explore with Freshfarm in different areas." - student working with FreshFarm Foodprints

"I learned to be patient with kids and become aware of how much they take from the world without us knowing. I’ve always been and will continue to be kind to children because they cannot communicate like adults can.  My student and I were able to find common interests and from that, continued to talk about them. I always want the people I’m working with to feel comfortable so I try to serve them as much as I can. I would tie my student’s shoes when needed and get up to get any missing supplies. I also like how the classroom was set up and how many resources, like crayons, markers, stickers, and paper, were available to everyone upon entry. We were free to get and grab anything we wanted at any time."-student serving with LFFP