HSSJ 2170: Professional Relationships in Human Services

Congrats to Professor Morrison on a great Fall 2020 semester with Interpersonal Relations (HSSJ 2170). See below for highlights.

Professor Morrison's Community Engaged Scholarship (CES) course, Interpersonal Relations (HSSJ 2170), uses a lens of social justice and critically analyzes how intersections of identity impact relationships. Students are required to complete a 30-hour practicum at community-based agencies that serve disenfranchised community members.

Professor Morrison's 21 students served 300+ hours! Students mainly served with Little Friends for Peace (LFFP), Latino Student Fund, YESSheCanCampaign, YWCA, Active Minds, Empower Girls, Global Kids, In The Streets, GW JumpStart, Latin American Youth Center, Lesson Check-In, and Serve your City.

A student who served with Latino Student Fund reflected,Today was my last day of the semester with the Te Guio program leaders, other volunteers, and my mentee! We started off with a Christmas-themed ice breaker,and played a Christmas-themed kahoot game. Then we broke off into mentor-mentee groups, and [student] and I caught up on how we were doing and what we were going to be doing for the holidays during our breaks. We went through the Te Guio Wrapped PowerPoint presentation to reflect upon our time together, and what we learned. [Student] told me that she has an interview with the ECA program at Trinity College this Friday, so she told me a little bit about that and we worked on preparing for that for a little while (but I know she'll do great!) Then we talked about family holiday traditions and ancestries within our families (I don't really know how our conversation ended up going that route, but it was definitely interesting). We closed out as a big group again, and said goodbye and good luck to all of our mentees and the program leaders; I'm so proud of all of them!

A student who served with Lesson Check-In reflected,I received this message from my mentee this morning […] I instantly called my student and assured her that no matter what age or in what part of life someone is, they can lose track of their work or become stressed. I reminded her that school is a priority and some things are beyond our control. We then came up with a game plan to makeup her missing assignments. I then called various offices in her school (they were very unresponsive like she expressed). I finally received some email addresses for teachers and made them aware of her challenges. I also checked in with her every two hours to make sure she was making progress. I gave her some resources to find definitions that are broken down further and has examples. I spent the entire day calling, and emailing, and waiting, and replying.”

To learn more about Nashman Affiliate Faculty and Faculty Learning Communities, click here. If you’re interested in designating your course as a Community Engaged Scholarship course, click here.