PUBH 6299: Typical Problems Among Autistic Prisoners, Kapadia

To view this PUBH 6299 presentation click here.

This presentation describes community engaged scholarship through Dr. Sean Cleary's course, PUBH 6299 The Autism Experience: A Public Health Perspective. In this unique course, designed in collaboration with local, autistic community members, GW students learn community participatory research methods while engaging with autistic young adults, their parents, researchers, clinicians and other service providers. The course covers the science, viewpoints, and experience of autism with a focus on young adults transitioning to adulthood. Working in partnership with community advocates, students explore research relevant to the autistic community.

Help select the Symposium Audience Choice Award. Click on this link to cast your vote for best Symposium presentation.

15 thoughts on “PUBH 6299: Typical Problems Among Autistic Prisoners, Kapadia

1. Rachel Talbert

This was a great presentation to watch-thank you for your work-are there other avenues to get this presented and think about publishing your work? Maybe Dr. Cleary has some ideas-the topic is very important.

Reply
    1. Aman Kapadia

I believe that due to the limited data available on this topic, there are definitely some options to further delve into this area in order to produce something that can be published. I will definitely talk to Dr. Cleary to find out what avenues are best for this. Thank you so much!

Reply
    1. Aman Kapadia

I believe so too, Amy! I am hoping to connect with organizations such as the Federal Bureau of Prisons to offer my advice on how correctional staff across the country's prisons can improve conditions for autistic prisoners through these simple yet effective measures. Thank you for your comment!

Reply
  2. Shannon Doyle

Great presentation on a very interesting topic. Your pamphlet seems to do a great job of capturing the most relevant points of your topic and could be a very helpful resource for some organizations.

Reply
    1. Aman Kapadia

Thank you very much, Shannon! I think that such a pamphlet that easily communicates these simple measures to improve the autism experience in prison should be delivered to policymakers in organizations such as the Federal Bureau of Prisons. I am hoping to get connected with these individuals so that changes can be made over time through policy implementation centered on bettering conditions in prisons.

Reply
  3. wagnerw

This is an issue I hadn't considered before, thanks for raising it. I like that you've designed your project here such that it has resulted in a pamphlet that can be shared to educate and inform.

Reply
    1. Aman Kapadia

Thank you so much for your comment! I was definitely hoping that I could highlight an issue that has not previously been explored, so I'm hoping this pamphlet can at least prompt some attention to it in order to develop policies

Reply
  4. Donna Budway

Great work Aman. Thank you for taking on such a difficult topic. Would love to share your pamphlet with some of our local disability groups.

Reply
    1. Aman Kapadia

Hi Donna! Thanks so much! Absolutely! I am hoping to distribute this pamphlet to many others just so it can provide some basic insight and simple solutions for the problems affecting autistic individuals in prisons. Hoping this reaches its way to policymakers, as well!

Reply