Peer Advisor, Katie Phillips, Shares Her Tips For Getting Started at GW!

I began my first year scared and unsure of what to expect, but during my time here I have found friends, roles in student organizations, my passions, and had so many “Only at GW” moments. Entering your first year can be one of the most exhilarating yet confusing times of college. You might feel as if you have been thrown into a tornado or you’re confident with your head high walking into your first class or maybe somewhere in between. However you may be feeling I promise all college students have been there at some point. To help you out, I have collected advice from friends to share with you as you navigate your first semester as well as some of my tips I have gathered during my past three years at GW.

• Time Flies:

Time often feels short when looking at the grand scheme of college. As the phrase goes, “the days are long, but the years are short.” Despite this sentiment, you have plenty of time to determine what you want to study and what careers you might be interested in. It is alright to be unsure and to explore different avenues. So many of my friends entered GW studying one thing with plans to go to a particular type of graduate school only to change their minds after the first year. You do have time to make these important decisions.

It is also important to take the time to admire your surroundings. This doesn’t mean you need to take a picture of every flower you see in Kogan Plaza, but you should take time to be content with where you are. It can be difficult, especially when you are excited for what comes next, but you will wish that you appreciated things more once you are in that future position.

• Saying Hello:

For all of those who are socially anxious, talking to others might seem intimidating, but it is important to start conversations or join in on them. Particularly in the beginning weeks of the first semester, everyone is looking for friends. Starting a simple conversation from a compliment or question might lead you to your eventual best friend. For example, I met my best friend while on a Zoom call for class because she had Taylor Swift posters in her background. After that call I made a point to say hi once classes were moved in-person. It does not have to be a complicated scheme but taking a second of courage to say hello can make all the difference.

• Failure is a Normal Part of Living:

Whether it is an awkward interaction or a bad test grade, failure happens, all of the time. However, how you choose to respond to these moments is important. If you happen to get a grade lower than desired, making the time to go to your professor’s office hours to go over the exam is a good start to improving your understanding of the exam topics. It is pertinent to remind yourself that everyone has moments of failure. You will not be the only person to miss several questions on a quiz or forget your GWorld inside your dorm room, I promise.

• Planning for the Future:

Especially at GW, it might seem like you need to know what you are going to do the second you graduate or secure an internship for every semester. It is very easy to get wrapped up in this sentiment, but know that you can take a breather and don’t need to do everything all at once.

There are some things and events that come with deadlines but as long as you are checking in with your advisors and doing some research on your own you will be on track. For example, GW offers 4+1 programs which allow you to complete a master’s degree in one full year instead of the traditional two full years in addition to your bachelor’s degree. For more information on what areas of studies are included in these 4+1 programs you can ask your advisors or check out these links. A lot of these require filling out an application, meeting the eligibility requirements, and applying in your junior year.

GWSB Dual Program: https://business.gwu.edu/four-plus-one

CCAS Dual Program: https://columbian.gwu.edu/combined-degree-programs

Milken Dual Program: https://publichealth.gwu.edu/dual-degrees

ESIA Dual Program: https://elliott.gwu.edu/combined-bachelorsmasters-program

However, as a first year you do not have to have your post-undergraduate plans locked with no change possible. I guarantee at least one thing about your post-grad plans will change from what you were originally thinking in the first days of college. For right now, focus on making friends and finding those things that you are passionate about! The internships will come, and your post-grad plans will take shape eventually.

• Friends Might Not be Immediate (and that’s okay):

I’m sure by now you’ve heard the saying that “first week friends don’t last.” While this can be true, sometimes these people can become some of your closest friends. Conversely though, you might lose touch with your orientation week friends throughout the semester and meet your lasting friends through classes, orgs, or random school events. Be open to talking to people in your classes and at student org meetings. Rest assured that the right people will come along. It might take some trial and error to find people you vibe with but they are out there. Even as a senior I am meeting new people all of the time and gaining new friends every semester.

• Change is Natural (and good):

College is a period of time with a lot of change, both small and large. For many, you are away from your family for an extended period for the first time.  Some might realize that they want to change their major or join a student organization that they previously had no interest in. Friends come and go, and interests expand or diminish. No matter what happens, change occurs. It is a natural part of life and while sometimes uncomfortable it often can lead to great things.

During my freshman year I decided to not join band even though I had greatly enjoyed playing the flute in high school. In my junior year, I decided to audition for GW’s concert band. I changed my mind and ended up finding a community of people and a hobby that allows me to take time away from my coursework and busy schedule. Joining band enabled me to grow the circles of people I see around campus and get more outside of my comfort zone (this isn’t a recruitment post for band but if you’re interested, check out @gwuband on Instagram for more information about joining).

I highly recommend stepping outside of your comfort zone and finding something you are potential interested in. You can check out the work-out classes at Lerner or a student organization at the Org Fair on August 24th. Whatever you decide to, your future self will be proud of you for making that leap and taking the opportunity to try new things and gain new experiences.

Hopefully some of these tips and insider information you will find helpful! I wish each and every one of you a great first semester and know that you will do great things during your time here at GW! I hope you find GW just as rewarding as I have!

If you have questions about the neuroscience major, being pre-med, or band feel free to contact me at klphillips@gwu.edu!