The Intern Files: American Society for Cell Biology

The following blog post was written by Peer Advisor Lily, a sophomore in SMPA studying political communication.
Interested in three-parent in-vitro fertilization, also known as mitochondrial replacement techniques (MRT)? Curious about the policy and biomedical implications of limited access to fetal tissue and/or embryonic stem cells? Thirsty for a deep dive into the National Institutes of Health (NIH) grant-writing process? Desperate to lobby on the Hill with actual real-life staffers?
If you answered yes to any of these questions—or maybe just sat there like, um, well, I’m not sure but it kinda sounds interesting, maybe?—then my summer job would have been perfect for you.
Starting in June, I began the most rewarding work experience of my young life as an intern in the Public Policy & Media Relations department at the American Society for Cell Biology (ASCB) in Bethesda. For those unfamiliar with the ASCB, the society is an international community of nearly 10,000 basic biomedical researchers who focus almost exclusively on the cell. To best serve members, the ASCB advocates on their behalf, analyzes relevant policies, organizes annual meetings, and promotes professional advancement and diversity initiatives.
In the Public Policy department, I worked with the director to help streamline these processes. I researched, emailed, compiled, penned, and became embroiled in numerous email exchanges with my bosses that consisted mainly of “Oh my god, did you see this tweet?” and “Holy crap, I cannot believe that this is happening” and “Actually, I can totally believe that this is happening.”
Beyond the incredible camaraderie that existed in the office, my work was gratifying because my boss trusted me to complete work effectively and independently. I was put in charge of emailing staffers to set up meetings, drafting our notes for the meetings, and then had the ability to participate in those meetings. I drafted articles for our newsletter and website and helped to create our grassroots advocacy page. By the end of the summer, my boss told me to start calling myself a summer associate.
Working in biomedical public policy may not be for everyone, but biomedical research certainly impacts everyone. Without critical innovations in basic science—which is funded primarily by the federal government—our society would be plagued with myriad more illnesses and injuries. I’m proud to have worked for an organization like the ASCB which actively promotes the welfare of scientists and scientific progress across the globe and I urge everyone in UHP to take note of the advancements happening in our very backyard.
Link to an ASCB article that I wrote here. Find another one here.