Study Ablog: From Puerto Rico with Love

The following post was written by Peer Advisor Emily, a CCAS junior studying environmental studies and sustainability. You can find out more about her here!
During my time at GW I have realized that so many students love to give back. Practically every student has a cause that they are passionate about. In high school, I too was an active participant in community service. There are so many ways to get involved with volunteering on and off campus. There are service fraternities, community service clubs, and numerous organizations located all over D.C. that are always looking for volunteers. One day, during my sophomore year, I was searching around on the GW website to find service opportunities when I stumbled upon the page for GW Alternative Breaks. That click changed my life.

Me (middle) and my two friends Grace and Cam digging the foundation for a new outdoor shower system

I was fortunate enough to spend my winter break that year volunteering on a sustainable farm in Las Marias Puerto Rico. I was drawn to this trip because protecting the environment has always been a cause very near to my heart. While on the farm we spent half the day performing various tasks on the farm and the rest learning in the classroom about green perma-culture practices. As an environmental studies major I am fascinated with the world of sustainable agriculture and the organic food system so this journey was not only educational but it also resonated deeply with me.
view to brush teetheDuring my time in Puerto Rico I got to experience a new and healthier lifestyle, embrace a foreign culture, and form lifelong friendships. I learned how to ingrain sustainability seamlessly into my daily life and I formed a stronger connection with nature. By laying out under the stars and waking up to do yoga as the sun crept over the mountains, I found a sense of inner peace that is simply unattainable in the city. I spent time harvesting coffee, coconuts, and oranges and while doing so I observed a system of farming that works with the natural world instead of against it. I helped to build structures and create compost which taught me the value there is in hard work, especially when working with a team toward a common goal. These are lessons I could not have learned at GW. Sometimes you need to get away from the monotonous pattern of normal life in order to learn about yourself and experience personal growth.
The whole group acting silly on our beach trip

It is commonly said that studying abroad is the most enriching college experience, but sadly due to major requirements or financial issues so many students do not get the opportunity to spend a semester overseas. I have seen many of my friends denied the chance to view life from a different perspective and have a meaningful experience outside of the GW bubble. That is why the Alternative Break Program is so great: it allows students to spend time abroad or in a different community while simultaneously learning from and giving back to the community they are in. If you are unable to go abroad or merely interested in community service at any level, I highly recommend you look into participating in an alternative break. I promise you won’t regret it.