My Relationship with the UHP – Four Years Strong

As a graduating senior, I reflect upon my time at GW and the UHP with nostalgia and the clarity of hindsight. I raise my foot for the impending step into adulthood, and I remember the UHP fondly and with love (and hope it remembers me, too).
To the Classes of 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019. Take advantage of the UHP – for the mental challenge, the warm hug of  community, and the Cheers-like atmosphere where everybody knows your name.

11130083_10204507349423614_7487581666870561482_n
Photo by Eydie Costantino

Behold, our Beloved Townhouse. Holy Fountain of Coffee and Hot Chocolate. Righteous Bearer of Snacks.
Over the past four years, I’ve spent countless hours as a Student Staffer, Student Peer Adviser, and just plain Student, dependent on this place for the community it fosters. I came to the UHP for the academics – but I stayed for the community. We take classes in this building (if we’re lucky), and this is where the magic of friendships, advising, and pumpkin carving takes place. The Townhouse is our bubble that is exclusive, but at the same time, endlessly welcoming.
Let’s backtrack to writing the Common App in 2010 (WHOA), passively writing my Honors essay, not actually understanding it had a curriculum (shame on me). Fast forward to Fall 2011, when, on Thanksgiving Day, I cried on the phone with Eyal, asking for an extension on my draft term paper. Months later, I interviewed to be a Student Peer Adviser and ended up being hired also as a Student Staffer. By May, I was in love. This relationship was for real. My eventual departure had not even crossed my mind. Through Honors, I gained research experience, work experience, failure experience, and decision-making experience, all with a comfy safety net below me.
Many people speak about Origins and Evolution of Modern Thought as the fundamental Honors experience – and in its exposure to Honors expectations, it is. But Senior Fall, during my Senior Capstone with famed Faculty in Residence/Tall Outdoorsy Professor Mark Ralkowski, I sat back in my comfy, ripped Club Room chair and observed around the table all of my friends, fellow seniors, in class discussion debating, having read a long, dense article for a Pass/Fail class. These were kindred people to me. We grew up together, in a way. This is what I had worked towards. I worked to appreciate this discussion, these people, and this community. This is not just the Capstone, but also the Cornerstone experience that sheds light on my four years here.
Today is April 30, 2015. I’ve attended my last InsideGW session with prospectives, and my last Student-Faculty dinner. I gave my token speeches on how much I hated physics but loved class with Bethany Kung, and how I wish William, Catherine’s three year old, was actually my son. I’ve started to say goodbye. And I hope that all students behind me recognize this potential for this community to be sharply defining. I didn’t love every minute, but I loved all four years.

This is the sappy part where I say Thank You, and undoubtedly where many of you will stop reading (it’s okay, you’ve made it pretty far).
To my fellow Students – Thank you for putting up with me in class, and at least trying to understand me before disagreeing vehemently.
To my Professors – Thank you for your dedication to the program and to me. I owe you all baked goods.
To Eydie – Thank you for being my Mama Bear, and for not judging me too hard when I struggled with locking doors and silly things like that.
To Catherine – Thank you for sharing your son, laughing at my jokes, and making me feel like one in a million, even amongst the thousands of students you care for. All of the applause for you and your award.
To Alex and Mary – We don’t have much time left to get to know each other in the Townhouse, but best of luck, and hopefully we stay friends!