The Extra-Curricular: WRGW Disrict Radio

wrgw logo     Hello hello UHP! In this edition of “The Extracurricular” we will be looking at my personal favorite GWU Student Org- WRGW District Radio. Now as a member of the radio’s General Board you might say I’m a little biased on this one, but hear me out. WRGW has been hands down the best part of my time here at GW, and I’m just trying to do my part to spread the love.
WRGW is located on the ground floor of the Marvin Center; you may have even walked by to see weird looking radio kids pressing a bunch of buttons and dancing around in a dark room. That’s just what radio is all about. We broadcast live daily from 8am to 2am, andit isn’t just music either. WRGW has four departments: Music, Talk, Sports and News. Moral of the story? There’s a place for everyone. Maybe you follow the NHL like it’s your job, maybe you have a passion for current events and journalism, maybe you go to four concerts each week, or maybe you just feel important enough to expound your wise opinions to all that will listen. WRGW gives its members a chance to express themselves on pretty much any topic they find compelling, isn’t that what college is all about? And get this, it’s internet radio, so your friends and family at home can always tune in too.  I know I feel cooler than cool when my mom texts me incessantly during my radio show…
Aside from our broadcasts, WRGW also hosts events and maintains blogs. If you like writing about sports, news or music, WRGW can offer you a great opportunity to do so. We get some pretty sweet press passes to concerts and lectures, and we broadcast home and away games for GW’s Basketball teams on air. Our events vary from concerts to Open Mic Nights, all of which are loads of fun. In fact, our next Open Mic is February 20th at Thomas Foolery in DuPont from 7pm-9pm. Come check it out if you like live entertainment and Captain Cookie, and I mean, who doesn’t?
So now you want to join radio, amiright?! To become a member, you have to sign up at the beginning of a semester, and you start off as an intern. Basically, you’re assigned to a preexisting show, and the host will show you the ropes on how to use the broadcasting equipment. After that, you’re free to apply for your own show and really dive into your future as a college radio DJ. Exciting stuff. So keep us in mind as you brainstorm Orgs to dabble in next semester, and for now tune in to some of our programming on gwradio.com!