GW-SOBS Student of the Month (February)- Shatha Salameh

GW-SOBS Student of the Month

FEBRUARY

Shatha Salameh

(she/her/hers)

Program: Pharmacology & Physiology

PI: Dr. Nikki Posnack

Why did you choose to pursue a PhD?

[SS]: I have always been interested in reading/writing research, and after completing my master’s in pharmacology I realized there was much more to learn. The field of drug discovery is constantly evolving and a PhD can equip me with the tools to make new discoveries alongside it. Lastly, pursuing a PhD has given me the opportunity to push the bounds of knowledge and become an expert on a topic- which is a tremendously cool thing to do in a lifetime!

Tell us about your project!

[SS]: I’m interested in measuring the efficacy of inotropic interventions on cardiac physiology, with a focus on age-dependent effects. Pediatric patients with congenital heart disease frequently require pharmacological interventions to stabilize and improve cardiac mechanical function after corrective heart surgery. Administration of inotropes is not always effective in treating low cardiac output, and a patient’s age may play a role in postoperative outcomes. I’ll be using human cardiac tissue samples and animal models to investigate the postnatal maturation process and the impact of age on inotropic efficacy.

Shatha after the GW-IBS White Coat Ceremony.

What are some skills (scientific or non-scientific) you have gained while in the program?

[SS]: Since this program is interdisciplinary, I’ve been able to gain a solid genomics foundation by taking courses from the genomics & bioinformatics track. I not only enjoyed learning about the field, but it also helped prepare me for the gene/protein expression aspect of my dissertation project. Also, pursuing a PhD has really refined my presentation skills. We are constantly given opportunities to break down a complex scientific topic into a comprehensible presentation for a range of audiences.

What do you like to do outside of the lab?

[SS]: I love to travel- but considering time can be limited I’ve really mastered the art of weekend day trips.

Best pasta according to Shatha- rigatoni bolognese

What are your favorite things to do in the DC/DMV area?

[SS]: I love to try new restaurants- especially new pasta places! I think DC/DMV doesn’t get enough credit on the availability and diversity of food options it provides.

Thank you, Shatha, for sharing! You can reach out to Shatha via email (ssalameh@gwu.edu) or LinkedIn at the link below.

Published inSpotlight

Be First to Comment