GW-SOBS Student of the Month (March)- Shruti Gupta

GW-SOBS Student of the Month

MARCH

Shruti Gupta

(she/her/hers)

Program: Neuroscience

PI: Dr. John R. Bethea

Why did you choose to pursue a PhD?

[SG] I chose to pursue a Ph.D. because I’m passionate about learning and discovering new things in my field. I also appreciate the intellectual challenge a Ph.D. comes with and the chance to make a meaningful impact through my work.

Tell us about your project!

[SG] My research focuses on multiple sclerosis (MS), a debilitating autoimmune disorder characterized by impaired mobility and chronic neuropathic pain (CNP) affecting 1.8 million individuals globally. Presently, there is no cure and current therapeutics are lacking in efficacy. I’m investigating the therapeutic potency of a novel drug that can activate endogenous anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective pathways. My work further supports our lab’s findings that this drug alleviates CNP in both male and female MS model mice, but only alleviates paralysis in female mice. I utilized wild type and four core genotype mice (males with XX sex chromosome complement) with and without surgical and pharmacological manipulation of testosterone to study the sex-specific attributes of this drug in a rodent model of MS. I discovered that the agonist’s efficacy in alleviating paralysis depends on the XX sex chromosome complement, regardless of the gonads. Additionally, its ability to alleviate CNP in males is gonad-dependent but testosterone-independent.

Shruti presented her work at the Neuroscience conference in Washington, D.C (2023).

What are some skills (scientific or non-scientific) you have gained while in the program?

[SG] Our lab is fortunate to have a variety of funded projects and a strong culture of collaboration. Over the past three and a half years, I’ve had the opportunity to learn a range of techniques that span from behavioral and biochemical analyses (western blot, qPCR, IHC, flow cytometry, and RNAscope) to managing mouse colonies. Additionally, I have focused on both developing and honing my skills in scientific communication among my peers and mentors.

Tell us a little about your previous university. What was it like there and how does it compare to GW?

[SG] I transferred from Drexel University, an incredible institute with a small yet diverse Biology department. While I focused on translational neuroscience, my peers explored a wide range of different scientific topics such as chimpanzee evolutionary patterns. The intimate size of Drexel meant every face was familiar. However, at GW, there’s greater potential for collaboration, and we’ve already begun tapping into that opportunity.

Shruti presented her work at the College of Arts and Sciences Research Day at Drexel University in Philadelphia (2023).

What do you like to do outside of the lab?

[SG] If my salary permitted, I’d practically live at the shopping mall! But in general, I adore chatting with my girlfriends, irritating my boyfriend, and indulging in my guilty pleasure of re-watching “Friends” or “How I Met Your Mother” for the umpteenth time after a long day, accompanied by a soothing cup of green tea. I also find joy in occasional baking (especially rum cake during the holidays) and attending wine and paint sessions.

Have you explored the DC/DMV area yet? What are some things you are looking forward to doing in the area?

[SG] I have explored the DMV area and have done most of the tourist-oriented things like famous museums and going to the top of the monument before coming to GW. These days I am looking forward to trying different restaurants in the area. There are so many fantastic options to choose from.

Welcome to GW, Shruti!

If you would like to get in touch with Shruti you can contact her via email (shruti.gupta@gwu.edu) or via LinkedIn at the link below.

Published inSpotlight

Be First to Comment