GW-SOBS Student of the Month (January)- Kevin Nestler

GW-SOBS Student of the Month

JANUARY

Kevin Nestler

(he/him/his)

Program: Cancer Biology

PI: Dr. Kate Chiappinelli

Why did you choose to pursue a PhD?

[KN] I really care about cancer research and wanted an opportunity to contribute to the field. As a tech, I was exposed to cancer epigenetics where I gained an appreciation for how much remains to be discovered. I saw a PhD as a unique chance to build a solid foundation as a scientist while pursuing interesting and exciting questions.

Tell us about your project!

[KN] My project is focused on understanding how ovarian cancer cells tolerate the expression of transposable elements (TEs). Our lab has shown that forcing TE expression by inhibiting DNA methylation can promote an anti-tumor immune response. However, many cancers have increased baseline levels of TEs without stimulating an immune response. So, we are interested in determining the different mechanisms that cancer cells use to limit TE immunogenicity and hopefully identify novel therapeutic targets.

What are some skills (scientific or non-scientific) you have gained while in the program?

[KN] I’ve been able to expand my bioinformatic skillset since starting the program which has been great. In the lab, we are regularly generating and analyzing transcriptomic and epigenomic datasets so it’s been really useful to learn how to do these analyses. 

What do you like to do outside of the lab?

[KN] I play basketball and volleyball. I also enjoy riding my bike around and exploring the city.

What are your favorite things to do in the DC/DMV area?

[KN] I love live music so I’ve really enjoyed seeing shows at the different venues here. 

Any pets?

[KN] My girlfriend and I have a 5 lb. yorkie named Mister. He is a star.

Kevin’s yorkie, Mister!

Thank you, Kevin, for sharing!

If you would like to get in touch with Kevin you can contact him via email: knestler@gwmail.gwu.edu

Published inSpotlight

Be First to Comment