Lessons and Letters: My final blog on Singapore

By tanvibanerjee

One of my friends who went on an exchange program once told me, “Nothing lasts forever, especially, study abroad.” And how true have her words been! It feels like it was just yesterday when I landed in Changi on a hot and humid January morning (something, I never thought I would be able to say in the same sentence). Now, I am expected to pack up and fly back to New Delhi on a hot and humid May morning. Even though I have been prepared to go back home, I am whiplashed by how quickly the semester went by. More importantly, though, I am amazed at how much I have learned and changed over the last few months.

So, what have I learned from study abroad?

1. It is okay to feel like a fish out of water

In some aspects, coming to Singapore has not been a culture shock to me simply because the Indian culture is an important part of Singaporean culture itself. However, I have still felt like a fish out of water many times here and especially during my travels through Southeast Asia.

One of the first times that I felt completely out of sync was when I tried to order my first cup of tea at a local hawker center. I was extremely confused by local names such as ‘Teh, Tea O, Tea C etc.’ and ended up ordering iced milk tea, instead of the hot one that I wanted.

The first final that I took in Singapore, also baffled me. First and foremost, it was held in a huge sports hall. Even though my class was small with only 10 students, we took our exams with nearly 400 other students in the same space. The local students put away their bags in the corner of the huge hall and walked to their assigned seat numbers with complete ease. One of my local friends had to actually guide me through the entire process.

2. You should learn about the world from your international friends

The best part about studying abroad has been the sheer number of things that I have learned from people of different nationalities, ethnicities, and religions. By interacting with my fellow exchange friends, I learned about how universities across the world work, the current problems in their countries and how they went about their daily lives. My local Singaporean friends taught me how to do things like a “Singaporean” from choping tables to pulling random all-nighters! The friends from the different countries that I traveled to taught me about their lives and culture as well!

In Cambodia, I learned about the Genocide and its impact on current Cambodians from the account of my Tuktuk driver Mr. Chan Tou. From our friendly driver in Bali, I learned about Balinese culture including their love for Bollywood. In Taiwan, I met amazing makeup artists and fun-loving professionals!

People across the globe have such wonderful stories to tell, ask them theirs and share yours with them!

3. Try new things, even if you don’t end up enjoying them

Eat a Durian, even if it smells bad, or go on a solo trip, even if you feel nervous. Step out of your comfort zone!

The best part about studying abroad is that you get the opportunity to start afresh. You have to make new friends, explore a new educational system, and live in a new country. This “newness” gives you the leeway to be free of old fears and experiment with yourself without a lot of judgment from the people around you.

Furthermore, trying new things may give you a glimpse someone else’s life and culture. For example, a lot of the locals really liked it when we tried their local food. Sure, it may be too spicy or may taste different than what you may eat usually, but the food is an important part of their lives. You are not only taking a bite of the amok or satay, but also a bite of their culture, traditions, and history!

The bottom line is: TRY new things!

I did a lot of head scratching on how to end this post and I decided that writing a quick letter would be the best way to conclude this blog. So, here it is:

Dear Singapore,

Thank you for having me for the last five months. I know we have had an interesting relationship, what with me complaining about your rain and humidity, and you getting me into trouble with your raised sidewalks. However, in the last few months, you have grown on me.

I have loved your skyscrapers and beautiful gardens but more importantly, I have loved your people. They are diverse, kind and quirky.

Thank you for teaching me about yourself and helping learn about myself as well. Majulah Singapura!

Best,
Tanvi, an exchange student