Self Care While Abroad

By frenezeder

One of the difficulties with traveling abroad is the lack of self care. Whether it is finding an affordable gym, picking your indulgences, or just maintaining a health lifestyle, it becomes increasingly more difficult when you are living in a society that does not place nearly as much importance on exercise as the US does. Specifically in Freiburg, it is almost impossible to be a temporary student and have a gym membership. Every gym requires at least a years long commitment and is rather expensive considering you are still trying to plan weekend trips. I have found that my mood is heavily dictated by my physical activity and diet and one of the most important things to do abroad is to take care of yourself. You are in an entirely different country most likely the only student from your university in the program, so to begin with internal tension is already high.

From the second I arrived in Freiburg I felt out of my element and was unable to actively solve the predicament because this city does not have a single workout class. Coming from DC and California where there is nearly a workout studio on every corner to Freiburg where there is not a single studio in 10 km distance is different to say the least. I tried to run outside, but people in Freiburg tend to simply not workout and give you incredibly rude and uncomfortable looks when you do try running outside. This was a complete shock to me and certainly did not put me in the best of scenarios. Luckily, I found a used bike shop in the area that sold relatively inexpensive bikes with free repairs and an option to buy back the bike. My bike now serves as my main mode of transportation and exercise. I bike about 2 miles each way to my classes and find that it is the highlight of my day. It severely improves my mood and has helped me stay active without the binding hassle of a gym.

I cannot quite stress how important it is to make yourself and your wellbeing a priority while abroad. I have found that the more I take care of myself, the more I enjoy being abroad. Whether it is making a meal full of green veggies at home or biking into town rather than taking the tram, I feel much better about being away from home when I feel like my regular self. It is so important to take time for yourself and to check in with your body and see how you are coping with such a drastic change. My first month here has been full of extraordinary experiences, but I was not able to fully enjoy them until I felt like myself through regular self care. You are the only person who can actively change your outlook on life, so you might as well help yourself with self care rather than hinder yourself.