Thank you, U.S.A!

By Marissa Kirshenbaum

This weekend, I went to Normandy with my program. The sight of D-Day and the entire battle that liberated France from Germany, the region of Normandy in the north of France is integral to the nation's history in the context of the second World War, yet simultaneously important to France's relationship with the United States. Before coming to Paris, I knew that D-Day was important to history, but I did not know to what extent it was still referenced to and talked about in the modern day.

France is a country with a very long history. It has seen five different republics, countless kings and queens, emperors, and revolutions. Juxtaposed to France, the United States is like a young kid finding its way: so young that it is confused and progressive all at once with enough energy to keep its momentum going for a long time. The two countries are drastically different when it comes to their histories. However, the one true thing that they have in common is the Battle of Normandy. I have thought it so interesting for months how French people seamlessly make fun of Americans, yet at the same time almost strive to be just like them. On occasion, they poke fun with our accents and discredit our global knowledge, yet at the same time, they respect us. They sport our clothing brands, they watch our movies, and they dream of visiting our country. As a sweeping generalization, they seem to hate to love us. And why? In part, because of the Battle of Normandy.

Since my first week in Paris, I have heard of French people adoring Americans because "we saved them in the war." At first, I discounted this as a stretch of our history with the French. However, as the weeks passed and the confusion ensued, I realized that in fact, no matter what we as a country seem to do, French people continue to like us because of the sacrifices that we made for them during the war. As a country of tradition, it is not surprising that they share a long memory.

This weekend in Normandy, I walked along the beaches that the American soldiers stormed through almost eighty years ago. The place is so preserved and untouched by the modern day that with a big imagination, you can see the troops and the gunfire, the aircrafts and the bunkers. It is hard to forget what the Americans did in a place like that. We walked through the streets of Caen and Asnelles-sur-Mer with our heads high, because here we were honored to be linked to the brave soldiers who gave their lives to liberate France.

The relationship between the French and the Americans is a very complex one. Although not a complete correlation, the history of D-Day helps to understand the seemingly unconditional love that France has with the United States. Even though we have moved away from the country that sent over thousands of troops to fight on Omaha and Utah Beach in northern France, our act of kindness is long instilled in the French mindset of the millennium. So, thank you, U.S.A!