Ate, Prayed, and Loved in BALI

By Maya Haziza

So, Bali has a very special place in my heart. I don’t even know where I should begin in describing the beauty of Indonesia and its people. Our first stop was Ubud, most notable for its endless emerald rice fields and feisty monkeys. Ubud was the perfect place for us to begin our Bali trip because it really exposed us to the Balinese culture, food, language, and people. It is needless to say that this place is as good and beautiful and people say it is, and exceeded my expectations. We explored waterfalls, rice fields, temples, and so much more in our first day. My favorite and most memorable experience in Ubud was hiking Mount Batur. We set an alarm for 2:30 AM to begin our hike up what is an active volcano and crater. As someone who has done many hikes before, especially in Hong Kong, this was twenty times harder than that and lasted 5 hours. The climb was insane in every way. As you climb up this mountain you see lava rocks coated in red and even using a staff to guide your way it is hard to navigate through the steep and slippery of the rocks. I will never forget how bright the stars I saw during this hike were – like nothing I had ever seen before. It felt like being underneath a dome of stars that I could reach up and grab. It was spectacular and I still can’t get over it. We finally reached the top of the mountain and watched the sunrise – another experience I can’t really put into words. We explored the top of the mountain which had natural steam from the volcano crater and saw monkeys running around grabbing hiker’s chocolate bars. This was an epic experience that made my time in Ubud so special. Next, we headed to Uluwatu which is in the southern coast of Bali -- known for the most beautiful beaches in the world, especially for surfers. The Balinese people were so kind, down to earth, and curious about my friends and I as we travelled throughout the island met new people along the way. The five days I spent in Bali were the biggest tease in the world, because this is the kind of place you need to explore for a month – at least. There is so much to see and so much to do and the beauty of the island is beyond stunning. Bali, I’m coming back for you – SOON.