Top 5, Top 5, Top 5

By Teniola Balogun

There are so many things to do in Gaborone. Whether you are in art buff or a foodie, there is differently something for you in Gabs! While I do try my best to not be super touristy, hitting all the sights is just something you have to do. When I first became acquainted with the city, I made sure to throw in a few local spots here and there.

Here is the Teni-approved guide of local yet touristy things to do in Gabs:

1. No. 1 Ladies Coffee House's Naked Soul Sessions
    • If you are a fan of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency mystery book series, you have to come here. It is a coffee shop based off of/dedicated to the mystery book series based in Gabs. The vibe is calming and relaxing. You are guaranteed to have a great time here. The people and the atmosphere really draw you in. Every first Thursday of the month, they have live music/spoken word called "Naked Soul Sessions". It is so great to hear Batswana showcase their talent and talk about their experience with artistic expression.
  2. Go on a game drive
    • One can never get over the thrill of spotting a giraffe or rhino in the distance. Game drives are my absolute favorite. There are a lot of reserves in Botswana. The animals you see will differ amongst all the Botswana game drives. My two favorites have to be the game drives taken in Nata and Mokolodi. Spoiler: you might see some elephants!!
  3. Visit I-Tower
    • I-Tower is located in the central business district. Here we can find great frozen yogurt shops, a movie theatre, Italian restaurant and many more. Best of all, if you climb to the top of I-Tower, you can get the best view of the city. I was able to venture up there one night and see the lights light of the sky. Hopefully, before I leave, I will be able to catch the wonderful Botswana sunsets from the great vantage point. 
  4. Hawkers 
    • Hawkers are the vendors who sell food right along the streets. I usually buy from the hawkers right across from the UB campus. When I'm not feeling the on-campus food, I would usually go to the hawkers for dinner. For 10 pula ($1), I can get a whole meal that will leave me full for what feels like forever. Most hawkers will often all sell the same things like beans, beets, drinks, hotdogs, and braii meat. You gotta pick a special vendor and stick with her for the entire semester. She will probably keep track of the times that you come and make sure the food you get is hot and delicious!
  5. Braii
    • Braii (or BBQs) are quintessential to the Botswana lifestyle. They are usually potluck style where the host provides and BBQs the meat and the guests will bring a dish. They are always very entertaining. My program has had two braiis so far. We great getting the chance to bond more with some of the homestay families as well as the volunteers in a more informal setting.