The Tale of Two Eclairs

By frenezeder

Greetings from Paris, France! The theme for this post is strictly divine food. While I am a pescatarian and dairy sensitive individual, I nearly threw every rule out of the book this week in France. I mean this is the home of Julia Child’s “Mastering the Art of French Cooking”, so I for sure was not going to miss out on all the dairy filled desserts.

This is the tale of two eclairs. Both were filled with a delicious milk chocolate cream and most likely severely over priced, but each was so incredibly different and one was clearly better than the other. The first was from the classic Laduree on the Champs de-Elysees, which is exactly how I imagine Bell’s feast in Beauty and the Beast. The inside is embellished with old school French white and turquoise crown molding with golden accents. This is definitely not the place to have a budget at, but absolutely phenomenal food. Paris is truly the city that never sleeps as we went to dinner at 9 pm and finished dessert at 11:30. The eclair was divine and more on the fluffy pastry side.

In contrast, the very next morning I went to Angelina’s, which I believe is in the 8th district, and had my second eclair there. Yes- two eclairs within a 12 hour period. Angelina’s is exactly how I imagine a bougie Paris cafe to be. The room was full of elegant furniture reminiscent of King Louis XIV. This eclair was the single best thing I have ever consumed in my life. It was flaky and covered in dark chocolate, yet perfectly chilled and soft on the inside. This place is much less touristy than Laduree and an absolute must splurge.  When in Paris eat every eclair and savor every moment. I am already planning my run and cleanse, but definately worth it.