Coffee: A student’s best friend

By shellytakessingapore

Across universities, cultures, and people, college student's best friends are naps and coffee. With temperatures ranging from the mid 70s to 90s, the heat in Singapore, among several other factors, steals a lot of my energy and leaves me fatigued. To combat this issue, I have found myself taking more naps during the day than I normally do back in the States. While napping does help me regain energy, it requires staying in bed more often and takes a lot of time out of my day. Therefore, coffee has been an effective source of energy. However, I learned the hard way that the type of coffee and way of ordering coffee is not the same in Singapore as it is back home. After committing a few cultural faux pas, I believe I have mastered the proper way to order coffee in Singapore.

In Singapore, the term for coffee is the Malay word "Kopi". Kopi is a sweeter, richer version of coffee. The beans are usually roasted with butter and then brewed through a small sack made of cloth. As a substitute for fresh milk, Kopi is served with condensed milk which adds an additional sweetness to the drink. When I had my first cup of Kopi, I immediately noticed how it was much sweeter and thicker than coffee that I was accustomed to. However, for those who enjoy a less sugary cup of coffee, Kopi can be modified to several different versions. The two most common versions of Kopi are Kopi O and Kopi C. Kopi O is served without milk and with sugar. Kopi C is served with unsweetened condensed milk and no sugar. Kopi is also very cheap in Singapore and costs SGD$0.80 (USD $0.60) for one cup. It is often served with toast that has a coconut jam spread called kaya. Just as the java jacket protects you from burning your hands from the hot coffee, a small plastic bag is wrapped around the coffee and allows you to carry it without holding the cup (please refer to attached picture).

When I'm in the mood for traditional coffee, I go to the Starbucks next to my dorm at NUS. While the coffee is the same, the method of ordering coffee is slightly different. Another point worth mentioning is that Starbucks coffee in Singapore costs more than the same coffee back at home. The prices can range from SGD$3 for a simple tall sized coffee to SGD $7 for a tall caramel latte. The first time I ordered a coffee, I asked for a "tall medium roast" coffee. The barista looked at me with confusion as he was not familiar with the term "roast" in a coffee order. After a few minutes of describing the type of brewed coffee I wanted, I was met with another obstacle. The table that normally contains different types of creamer and milk only had packets of sugar. I spent another few minutes asking the barista to pour out some of the coffee from my cup to make room for milk as a substitute for creamer. After I ordered and paid for my coffee, I could hear the baristas whispering and laughing about my usage of the word "roast" in my order. I discussed this incident with my exchange friends who told me that the way to order coffee at Starbucks was to order a "tall medium black" coffee.

Besides Kopi and regular coffee, Earl Grey Milk Tea with tapioca pearls (also called bubble tea) is another common drink in Singapore. This drink is similar to iced chai tea except it has small black pearls that are sucked up in a large straw. Back in D.C, the closest place for bubble tea is Teashi. Fortunately, one can find numerous shops around campus that sell bubble tea.

Despite making a few blunders when ordering coffee in Singapore, I appreciate the novel takes on classic drinks and trying new ones out. While I haven't been to Starbucks since my last order, I look forward to trying out my friends' suggestions and hope my next attempt is more successful than my previous one. Wish me luck!