5 Things I Wish I Had Packed

By teniolab

On the "Rollercoaster of Study Abroad" schematic, I definitely think I am in that "initial adjustment" phase. More or less I have found myself to be comfortable in my surroundings and have figured out what works and does not work for me to be successful during my time abroad. While in this stage, I have found myself retrospectively criticizing my packing situation. I constantly think that if I had known "this", I would have brought "that". I tried my hardest to not overpack. After many attempts at packing and repacking, I somehow packed the items that I "wanted" as opposed to packing the items that I "needed". But when it comes to being away from home for four-plus months, it is important to pack smart but also pack the items that make you feel the most like yourself.

It is challenging to now realize that I didn't pack certain (sentimental) items for the sake of saving room in my suitcase. So here it is, a list of items I wish I had packed:

1. Oversized Sweatshirt
    • It is blazing hot in Gaborone right now. For the nights when you feel extra homesick, it would have been nice to have a sweatshirt (to wear in your accommodation) that is extra soft and has those extra special memories of home.
  2. More Decorations
    • I printed pictures to hang up in my room here. But after looking at the same decorations I had in my Ivory room this past semester, I started to miss the familiarity of that desk. Trying to find tools to hang up decorations and finding decorations themselves are a bit difficult to find here. I really wished I had brought some of the posters or canvas art to brighten up my walls.
  3. More Clothes/Shoes
    • I sweat in literally everything. All of the items I thought I would get multiple wears out of before washing, do not make it past one week. T-shirt dresses and flowy pants are a must here. Sadly, my favorite pair of boyfriend jeans is resting back at home. They would have been a better choice over my questionable attempt at wearing skinny jeans in 95-degree weather. More workout clothes! Those would have been great to beat the heat.
    • At the last minute, I went from 9 pairs of shoes in my suitcase to 5 pairs. After one month, I know now that I will probably be returning with fewer shoes than I came with. That extra pair of Vans would have been crucial in the survival of my black sandals that may need to retire soon.
  4. Polaroid Camera
    • I love taking Polaroid photos to document everyday activities. This is a hobby of mine, but something in me told me bringing it would not be necessary. While abroad, initially, everything can be very confusing. It is important to do at least one thing that you would normally do at home just to keep you sane until you finally adjust to your host country. Luckily, iPhone photography apps were able to satisfy my need to document my adventures.
  5. Multivitamin
    • For that extra boost to combat recurring ailments like dehydration, upset stomachs, and etc.
  6. Lactaid Pills
    • Lactose intolerance is very rare in Botswana. I am very good at not eating dairy products, but the weather has me wanting to eat ice cream every day. What makes the situation worse is that almost all dairy products here are made with full cream. But then again, a little discomfort is fine in the great scheme of study abroad- food experiences.