Contemplating Cooperation: Academic Differences between Iceland and the U.S.

By eevenden

Halló aftur! (Hello again!)

This is week has been a bit more hectic than usual with exams and projects due. As a result, I have been thinking a lot about the types of homework and assignments I receive while at GW compared to the University of Iceland, and how different types of work reflect cultural values and harness different types of skills in students (and future employees). No need to remain vague, let’s get to it!

One of the biggest differences I have noticed while here in Iceland is the emphasis on group work and presentations. Three of my four classes have a group project (or multiple) over the course of the semester. And, many of these projects require us to present our information in front of the class for 15-30 minutes. For one of my classes, we have to present current articles on sustainable energy topics every week and go through a serious “Q&A” session each time (with actual questions, not just awkward silence until the professor says “okay, thank you” and you can sit down). Many of the other exchange students have noticed this, and we have joked that it’s the “Nordic culture of cooperation.” However, this joke became reality this Friday when I had a group exam in Glacial Geology.

What is a group exam and what is the point of it,” Americans may be wondering (that’s certainly what I was thinking). Our group exam consisted of 18 multiple choice questions. Each question had multiple potentially correct answers, and it was our task to identify every correct answer. For every wrong answer, we also lose a point. This was all a bit confusing at the time, but our professor began the exam by saying, “this exam is meant to facilitate discussion and be an exercise in cooperation.” I could almost laugh at how fitting that statement was, but have also been mulling it over ever since. (And I guess it worked since we talked ourselves silly in circles about each question.)

Reflecting on my experience at GW, I think I have had two group projects throughout the last five semesters, with a much bigger emphasis on individual writing and research. Even my lab work, which we work together to do here, is done outside of class, individually back home. Besides the public speaking class I took, I can count three formal presentations I have done in class during the last five semesters too, and only one of those was with a group. Many professors justify individual writing assignments by explaining that employers are looking for graduates who have a good set of basic skills: individual writing, research, and time management. Based on my work experience, I know this to be true and that the ability to work individually is important. But it begs the question, are American students effective communicators, and do we truly know how to work with others?

Not only is group work limited in most of my classes at GW, but I would even say group work is seen as a negative aspect of a course. At GW, I have heard people avoid taking specific classes because there is a group project on the syllabus. So, why do we as GW students dislike group work to such as high degree? (Obviously I don’t truly have an answer, and I am generalizing based on my own experience.) However, from my experience, people do not like group projects for two primary reasons, one, because you have to coordinate with others which is much harder than following your own schedule, and two, people do not want to be stuck with bad group partners and risk their grade. I am sure there are a number of justifications and explanations, but perhaps in the U.S. system, where there is a lot of emphasis on numeric measures like one’s GPA, students are discouraged to cooperate with others for the sake of individual excellence, and as a culture, we value individual excellence over teamwork, i.e. Elon Musk, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, etc.

Though I am obviously not an expert, I think much of this has to do with American notions of freedom and equality. Based on discussions I have had in class both in high school and university, in the U.S., people typically value equal opportunity, but not equal results; or in other words, everyone should have a chance to succeed but those who work harder should do better than those who do not. Where this philosophy fails is when we consider that, on a greater scale, people in the U.S. (and in all countries really) do not have an equal opportunity to succeed due to historical oppression and systematic discrimination and extreme differences in wealth and resources (i.e. education, healthcare, etc.). All of these factors undermine individual ability to perform in class and in work. (Hence why many of our famous innovators are white and male.) In school, performance does not only reflect intelligence or ability, but also one’s circumstances – which has obviously been the source of discussion for a number of education-based debates including standardized testing, funding for public schools, federal aid for universities and college students, Affirmative Action, etc.

So, how did we end up here, and how does this relate to group work in school? After musing for the last few days, I realize and can articulate that our education system and the types of assignments we have reflect and perpetuate our cultural values, as well as the skills we think lead to success. In the U.S., the emphasis on individual work surely contributes to a large-scale justification for inequality - “I don’t want to do a group project because my partner doesn’t work as hard as me” begins to sound a lot like “I don’t want to pay high taxes because I work hard for my money”. I am getting a bit out of my depth here as a STEM student, but it just goes to show how deeply intertwined individualism and Capitalist-philosophy are with our education… (everyone grab you tinfoil hats!)

Ultimately I must ask myself, if I was measured by my collaborative abilities instead of individual achievements, how would I measure up? As students and educators, would emphasizing group work create a healthier and more productive learning environment, especially at the university level? How can we change our education through class assignments to create a more cooperative society (and are we willing to?) Perhaps, these are questions all American students should reflect on.

That’s all for now! Here are some random photos from this week since I have mostly been doing school work. Also shout out to the Eagles and the city of Philadelphia #flyEaglesfly

A sunny and colorful day in Reykjavik

Some curry I made for a potluck on Friday (hand for scale). For the exchange students here, a lot of socializing revolves around potlucks and shared food.

A storm’s a-coming!