À la Table!

By Marissa Kirshenbaum

Think to yourself, "What is the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of Paris?". I'm guessing that right now you are thinking about either the Eiffel Tower, a bunch of striped-shirt and beret wearing men with moustaches carrying a baguette, or some cheese. Now, keep in mind that two of the aforementioned stereotypes include food. The gastronomy of France is integral, essential, and embedded into the culture of the country. Understanding how one eats in Paris is as important to the comprehension of the society as understanding how a suburban kid in the United States navigates the college decision process. However, what puzzles me the most is not necessarily the eating habits of the people and how close their relationship is to food, but more so why their relationship with food differs from our own, a country that undoubtedly loves a great meal. What is different about our love for food in the United States in opposition to that of France?

Any hopeful study abroad student venturing off to Paris will learn after doing research before their arrival that gastronomy in France is central to the culture: but what does this mean? For starters, people here do not take their food "to go", or even walk with it on the street. Food is to be enjoyed while sitting down and engaging in meaningful conversation with pleasant company. A meal is not something to be rushed. Products are free of preservatives, and everything that one eats is made fresh, without the influx of importation. This is all well and good, but it goes further than this. As I mentioned in my first blog, cultural norms go further beneath the surface and cannot be fully observed or understood without an eye for analyzation. A person's cooking in France is more than just a plate of food. Indulging in a meal is like opening up someone's gift: it is special, thoughtful, and must be enjoyed to the fullest degree. If you don't finish a plate of food, it is thought that you did not like it, and therefore do not appreciate the actions that the cook has made in order to provide you with this alimentation. This deeper meaning into the significance of food is key to understanding the French person and their way of life: once you indulge in one's meal and enjoy their company over freshly cooked food, you become closer to them in a way that cannot be experienced in the United States. Rather than solely a necessity for life, a meal is life itself.

These notions I picked up shortly after arriving in Paris, but what began to interest me even more was how meals were a way that the French family could connect on a daily basis, recounting stories of their days and engaging in pleasant conversation on a regular basis. As a contrast and overarching generalization, families in the United States do not necessarily treat the "dinner table" in the same manner. Often times, people become so busy that they skip meals with their families, or extracurricular or work activities become so overbearing that 'dinnertime' takes a seat next to rushed meal consumption. However, to bring in another layer, we as Americans love our food! While we may think of baguettes and cheese when we ponder the French culture, societies in the States are often thought of as in terms of burgers and fries. Yes, Americans do love their food, but it is surely in a different way. I find it so fascinating that two countries with a passion for cuisine choose to express their love in such differing ways.

Sharing meals with friends and host family members during my short stay in France thus far have been some of my favorite memories. It makes me nostalgic of my childhood and how we used to convene almost every night as a big family, laughing and sharing our lives with one another. Food as a sentimental delicacy has been an uplifting notion for me, one that I hope I can carry with me back to the States, and one that I hope can inspire others to return "à la table" with their friends and family, to enjoy in pleasant conversation and equally enjoyable food!