Strasbourg Christmas Markets

By paigebradford

The very first Christmas markets in France were held in Strasbourg in 1570. Historically a German tradition, the Christmas markets in Strasbourg include many German characteristics such as German food and drinks. On a day trip to the city two weeks ago I had the opportunity to stroll through the Christmas chalets dotted about the city. When I first arrived, I was immediately impressed with the city’s architectural beauty.

Walking through Strasbourg was like walking in the past, for the narrow streets and rainbow colored houses had designs like the ones often seen in Germany giving the city a vintage persona. The city was also filled with Christmas lights and decorations, making it was hard not to look around in awe.

One of the major must-sees of the city is the so called Petite France, or ‘Little France’. It is an area in the southern part of the city located on the Grand Ile, which a UNESCO world heritage site. The Petite France is made up of narrow and cobbled streets, with houses of old constructions.

Many of the half-timbered houses in Petite France are built on the water’s edge, giving visitors a very picturesque view of the area. Because I arrived in the morning I was lucky enough to avoid the crowds, for the Christmas markets themselves attract hundreds of thousands of tourists each year. By the time I left in the late afternoon the city was already packed with tourists, making it difficult to walk around or capture a picture without a lot of people bombarding it.

My trip to Strasbourg was the last excursion of my study abroad experience in France, and I am happy to say it was a successful trip. I went with friends who I had made outside of Sciences Po who come from all over the world. Their international perspectives and unique senses of humor made the city of Strasbourg all the more enjoyable for me. Although I love solo traveling, running around Strasbourg with friends who are lively and adventurous really brought out the splendor of the city itself.