On An Island in the Sun

By dylanmaric

I'm nearing the end of my time in Ho Chi Minh City, but I just recently finished what is my "spring break." I will say, it was a little weird traveling around while everyone I know back home was studying for finals but, hey, a breaks a break. So, my friend on the program, Erica, and I headed to both Phuket and Singapore. The prior was where we spent a majority of our stay, while we only spent roughly 30 hours in the latter.

So, Phuket!

Now, I feel like I have heard a lot about Phuket in my lifetime as being this magnificent, beautiful haven along the water. A destination where people from across the globe flock to spend their time and money. I would say that both of those statements rang true. Upon landing, it was very clear that effort was put into the Phuket airport and, while driving towards our hotel, that Western influence was very apparent.

We stayed in an area of the island known as Patong. Patong is a hub of sorts for all the more "hip" travelers and backpackers making it much more appealing for a younger clientele. It's about a 30 minute drive from Old Phuket Town resting on the Eastern side of the island. Truthfully, Patong was incredibly overwhelming. The food was fantastic because everywhere you looked both Thai and Indian cuisine was offered (both of which are my favorites). On the other hand, it was very crowded, littered, and loud. There is a street, Bangla, that has some notoriety and it was one of the most insane places I've ever been. It was packed with people and was home to a lot more particular oddities that people may know of if they've heard of Thailand.

The highlights of the trip were our time traveling to Big Buddha, Hong Island, and Phi Phi Islands. These excursions proved to be a lot more fun and interesting. The Buddha is incredible in magnitude and the two island trips were stunning. On one we kayaked and the other we swam/snorkeled. Weirdly, on both we also encountered monkeys and, as imagined, some were nicer than others.

All in all, the trip to Phuket was a very interesting one. Certain parts were as beautiful as advertised and I would recommend going back. However, if you stay in Patong—know what you're getting yourself into. It was a very nice break from Ho Chi Minh City, but it is very nice to be back. In a weird sense, I had this longing to be back because I feel like I finally feel comfortable and almost at home in Vietnam. I don't think I really expected to feel so attached to Saigon or want to come back after such a beautiful trip, but there is something to be said for the bed and room I've made a home out of in District 1. Phuket is pretty, but it doesn't hold a candle to my Saigon.

I think I would also say with confidence that everywhere I've been to in Vietnam was more fun than Phuket, but, a beach is a beach and sometimes that's necessary!