Keep Stepping Forward

By erbeeler

First off, an update from London: this city has been so incredible so far. I'm finally feeling completely comfortable taking the Tube (the London metro system), can navigate my way around local sites with friends, and am actually really enjoying the modules at my university.

I've continued to get involved with the LGBTQ+ community on campus and throughout the city. As we discussed in my prior blogs, students coming from diverse backgrounds in the United States are much less likely to feel welcome and comfortable in the workplace. I've learned that while the situation is not quite as bad in the UK, it still is a phenomena that affects individuals here as well.

Just recently, the Trade Union Congress (TUC) released a survey in the UK to try and evaluate the experience of LGBTQ+ people in the workplace. Initiatives such as these are taking key steps to really help understand this issue here in the UK.

As for me, I've been continuing my involvement with some individuals at the King's Career Center, connected with multiple students through a flyer/outreach campaign, and am preparing for my first open-attendance meeting. I've also had the opportunity to stay involved with MyGWork (click to link to their website).

Some of the biggest challenges that I've faced so far include the lag in cultural understanding (but the gap is filling fast as I'm meeting more friends and understanding the local community) and addressing the concerns of demographic groups that differ from those in the United States. For example, London's Muslim community represents about 30% of the population, while the Muslim community is not quite as large in the United States. Being able to understand the needs of LGBTQ+ students from the Muslim community is something that I'm consistently trying to better myself so that I'd be more equipped to offer support and guidance.

However, in all - I got my first message from a student that I met the 4th week of university who has just moved on to a 3rd round interview for the JP Morgan Graduate Scheme. He even chose to disclose his gender identity (as a transgender FtM student) in his interview, and felt welcomed and accepted by his interviewers! Moments like these make me realize the importance of this work!