L’Environnement à Paris

By rsengupta18

There are so many things we can learn from French environmental policy. Every day I am inspired by their success and commitment to mitigating climate change. However, it is still a mega-city with many complexities and challenges.

Paris is a leader in the C40; a group of 40 cities committed to combating climate change, regardless of national politics. I find this trend especially interesting. As national politics grow increasingly convoluted, I think this is the most strategic move for the green movement—utilizing influential cities and companies to lead societal trends.

As part of the C40, Paris has vowed to cut yearly emissions by 7 million tons in the next three years. Because of this commitment, I find Paris to be very progressive in their movement to green transit. The key to this success is their high inter-mobility between public transport options. The “Pass Navigo”, an economical 70 euros per month, gives citizens access to the metro, the regional train, the bus, the tram, and, within the next year, the bike-share program. Having all of these systems integrated increases public transit, making these green systems easier than driving. Additionally, Paris has limited the quantity parking spaces in the city to prevent individuals from driving. They also lowered the speed limit on the main highway to decrease emissions. Lastly, they’ve Auto-Lib, an electric car sharing system.

I think a large reason for Paris’ success is based on the fact that France is not divided politically on climate change. Even the Marine Le Pen of the Front National, the extreme right party in France, has launched a “New Ecology” movement fighting for “patriotic environmentalism.” Additionally, the Green Party in France is known as one of the most successful Green Parties in Europe. They hold many local seats and a handful of Senate seats. When comparing this issue between France and the United States, it is important to note that France does not have a large oil industry, therefore the environment is less connected to the economy.

Overall, environmentalism and conservation efforts in France have greatly impressed me, and I have witnessed many best-practices that I am excited to convey back to the United States. From the solar panel road that was just built in Normandy to the motion detector lights in every hallway, to the absence of plastic bags, and the natural affinity towards eating local foods-- France displays large and small scale changes that we can make. The environment is something that people really think and care about here, which I know I will miss.