My 5 favorite things about Shanghai (so far)

By juliareinholdgw

I’ve been in China for almost 5 months so far and there are numerous things I love about the city. There are 5 particular things, however, that both amaze me and put a smile on my face.

1. The Metro

The Metro in Shanghai is bewilderingly fast and efficient. Whenever I think about the subway systems in the United States – the 30 minute waits, the multiple breakdowns, the badly needed upgrades – I always think about how much more advanced China’s new metro systems are. The cars come every couple of minutes, can cross ten miles in 20 minutes, and are astonishingly clean. The Chinese government has done an amazing job with both their inter and intra-city transportation system. Now, China has a network of high speed bullet trains that can take you between cities in the blink of an eye. This transportation infrastructure makes both getting around Shanghai (and China) easy and affordable. Unlike DC, I never worry about being late in Shanghai because the subway is so fast and easy. Shanghai, one of the biggest metropolitan areas in the world, stretches across almost 2,500 square miles. My university is almost 10 miles away from downtown Shanghai, however only takes me 20 minutes to get there. In a fast and exciting city full of millions of people, it is amazing to see how connected the community is through this intrinsic network of speed and efficiency. The ability for the Chinese government to create such structures has always blown my mind.

1. The Peanut Butter Wontons downstairs

Two days ago I discovered the most wonderful thing: dry wontons with peanut butter sauce. They are so good. Wonton soup is a traditional Chinese food that is a huge favorite around the Shanghai area. Wonton’s are kind of like soft dumplings. They can be filled with numerous different fillings such as shrimp, vegetables, goat meat, etc. They are then soaked in hot soup and served to hungry customers braving Shanghai’s cold, rainy winter days. Below my apartment building, a couple owns a small wonton restaurant that serves homemade wontons. These wontons are served in two ways – traditionally in soup or “dry” with peanut butter sauce. Up until 2 days ago, I had always ordered the soup wontons, which were really good. However, on that particular day, I was not feeling too well and did not want soup, so I decided to order the dry wontons. The couple proceeded to make the wontons, boil them and pour a rich, freshly crushed peanut butter sauce over the “dry” wontons, and this surprising find became one of the best foods I’ve ever had in my life.

1. My Microeconomics Professor

Before I came to Fudan University, I did not think I would be taking any general requirements courses abroad and instead would focus on classes pertaining to China or East Asia. But then I saw that Intermediate Microeconomic Theory was offered at the University and said, eh why not get a requirement out of the way. The class is 3 hours long every Wednesday (which is a long time to be talking about Econ), but because of my professor, I have yet to get the typical “dragging on” feeling that I would get with many 3 hour lectures. My Professor, Professor Wang, has a really particular kind of teaching method. Having taught both in China and the States, he brings a mix of very good English skills and the thinking of a Chinese sage to the classroom. Professor Wang talks about economics as if it was a philosophy, which is a unique perspective I have yet to encounter from previous economics classes. Professor Wang is one of the most energetic and passionate teachers I have ever had, and because of that he always puts a smile on my face for those 3 hours every week.

1. The Lights

One of the most beautiful parts of Shanghai is the city lights. The Chinese love extravagance, and so every night the tall skyscrapers of Shanghai light up with beautiful light shows, adding to the energy and beauty of the city. I love walking around and watching these lights – they are so colorful and so fascinating.

1. The Children

Chinese children always seem so happy. Every time I see them in the city they are laughing and giggling and running around. Because a lot of Chinese kids have not seen foreigners before, they get really wide-eyed and stare at me sometimes, to which I always stick out my tongue to make them laugh. These small moments are always a breath of fresh air that puts a smile on my face.